Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
The British Embassy Dubai has a vacancy for a full-time Transport & Accommodation Officer to work in its busy Corporate Services Team.
The Transport & Accommodation Officer primarily concentrates on transport management and accommodation provision support services and provides high standards of customer service to support Corporate Services’ operations. The role will require close collaboration with varying sections of a busy Estates Team.
This is a multi-tasked role with varying duties that require a hands-on approach and managing delivery objectives set by the Head of Department. You will be required to deliver your role with a planned and dynamic approach and adapt to challenges and changes in the Embassy’s requirements as well local restrictions working in a COVID-19 environment. You will have the ability to work under pressure and deliver to tight deadlines, supporting and recommending proposals to your line manager and head of department.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Manage the transport fleet of nine (9) official vehicles, ensuring that month-end checks are completed and vehicles are serviced in accordance to the schedule.
- Line manage pool of four (4) Drivers; ensuring that high standards of service and safety are maintained and organising successful execution of Driver support to routine and high-level visitors.
- Oversight of a small budget for: servicing/ toll fees/ drivers uniform and ad-hoc repairs. Proactively develop a structured approach to vehicle maintenance and purchase.
- Assess Embassy plan of preventative maintenance and inspections of vehicles and decide on improvements. Advice on local law guidance and changes to legislation, decide on the best way of merging local law and Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) guidance.
- Direct all transportation activities and effective use of fleet vehicles and Drivers line with FCDO policy. Decide on best routes for transport plans, assess risks, and allocate appropriate resources.
- Monitor and process Drivers’ overtime and give advice on overtime policy, be aware of its impact on spending and submit claims to head of department.
- Co-ordinate transport bookings according to the Transport Policy.
- Annual review, revision, and recommendation of the Transport Policy with counterpart in Abu Dhabi.
- Build supportive and professional relationships with Her Majesty’s Government (HMG) partners/ stakeholders. Provide strong direction to the team and communicating clearly about transportation plans, objectives, and challenges.
- Support the team to deliver a service appropriate to changing needs of customers, in line with relevant guidance and decide on the appropriate way to achieve this. Review the Transport Policy depending on changing priorities and guidance.
- Ensure that Drivers hold the appropriate entitlement for the vehicle they are driving, that they comply with transport regulations, and that they work in a safe and effective manner at all times. Ensure Drivers are properly trained and competent to operate all relevant vehicles and equipment.
- Where possible, monitor the Embassy’s “carbon footprint” and think of ways in which this can be reduced.
- Participate in the Embassy emergency planning process and assist as required in responding to any crisis.
- Support the Accommodation Officer in administration of sourcing properties for new UK-based staff positions according to the UAE Post Housing Policy and FCDO guidance.
- Support the Accommodation Officer to manage UK-based staff departures.
- Support the Accommodation Officer with tenancy renewals, including negotiating with landlords and/or agents to achieve value for money for the FCDO.
- Ensure that all new leased properties are furnished (hard & soft furnishings) according to FCDO Standards. Co-ordinating with the Community Liaison Officer (CLO) to ensure that float items are in the property and ensuring that the property is ready for occupation for new arrivals.
- Support in the upkeep and maintenance of all furniture (office & residential) and dealing with general enquiries.
- Responsible for temporary/ transit accommodation for new arrivals, temporary duty staff, and estate visitors.
- Assist with securing corporate rates with hotel providers.
- Schedule and oversee transit and hotel accommodation bookings, including ensuring cleaning arrangements and general oversight for all on-compound transit accommodation.
- Process accommodation provisions and office buying activities and ensure that all procurement adheres to FCDO Procurement Policy and buying responsibility in our Oracle-based procurement and finance system.
- Manage record keeping and data entry/ handling on our asset management system; inventory data management; file management/ record housekeeping; inbox management; and updating records to satisfy both Team’s and FCDO’s compliance requirements.
- Management and processing of accommodation inventories: stock control and assist supply of estates, goods and equipment, where required.
- Management and processing of purchase orders for goods and services related to transport and accommodation services and assist other Estate divisions, when required. Responsibility to reconcile purchases made using Government Procurement Card in line with FCDO guidelines.
- Assist other members of the Corporate Services Team as required, including providing cover during periods of leave/ absence for colleagues in Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
The above list is not exhaustive and the jobholder will be required to be flexible and take on other ad hoc tasks as required. The job description may be reviewed to meet changes with business needs.
Key competencies required:
- Changing and Improving – Being responsive and innovative, and seeking out opportunities to create effective change. Learning from what has worked well and what has not; being open to change; suggesting ideas for improvements to the way things are done; and working in ’smarter’, more focused ways.
- Delivering at Pace – Focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes. Working to agreed goals and activities and dealing with challenges in a responsive and constructive way. Keeping a firm focus on priorities and addressing performance issues resolutely, fairly, and promptly.
- Collaborating and Partnering – Being a team player who creates and maintains positive, professional, and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the organisation to help get business done. Working collaboratively, sharing information appropriately, and building supportive, responsive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders whilst having the confidence to challenge assumptions.
- Managing a Quality Service – Valuing and modelling professional excellence and expertise to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements. Effectively planning, organising, and managing time and activities to deliver a high-quality, secure, reliable, and efficient service, applying programme and project and risk management approaches to support service delivery.
- At least one (1) year work experience in a fleet management or property/ estates/ facility management role.
- Experience of overseeing maintenance teams or working with third-party suppliers.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with a strong customer focus and the ability to respond to a range of customers’ needs. Demonstrates courtesy and consideration in dealing with stakeholders.
- Proven skills in dealing with and negotiating with customers and providers. Ability to manage customer expectations and displays a flexible approach and resourcefulness in solving problems.
- Excellent command of spoken and written English. Able to express ideas and messages clearly and concisely.
- Resilient; able to deal with pressure and work flexibility to deal with competing demands.
- Exceptional planning, organisational, and analytical skills. Previous experience working in a busy environment and demonstrated ability to balance workloads, prioritise tasks, and meet deadlines without compromising the quality of the work.
- A team player who is capable of working on their initiative and who is adaptable to changing priorities.
- Strong IT skills and literacy in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Teams).
- Knowledge of UK government processes, databases, systems, and policies.
- Previous relevant experience either in an embassy/ foreign diplomatic mission or an international organisation.
- Knowledge of/ experience using Oracle-based finance and procurement systems and databases.
- Project management qualification or similar.
- Holds valid Real Estate Regulatory Agency (RERA) qualification for Dubai.
- Experience in vehicle maintenance.
- Holds a clean and valid UAE driver’s licence.
Changing and Improving, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
28 October 2020
Middle East & North Africa
United Arab Emirates
3 January 2021
The Embassy aims to offer an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role, including: 25 days of leave per annum; on-site swimming pool, gym, and sports facilities (subject to COVID-19 restrictions).
Salary is at AED 11,108 per month.
There are no other allowances payable as part of this package. No accommodation and relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Conditioned working hours are 38 hours per week. Standard working hours are from 07:30 to 15:06, including a lunch break of 36 minutes, from Sunday to Thursday.
The jobholder will be required to be flexible in their approach to hours worked as these will also be dictated by operational needs and may involve working out of hours. Flexible working arrangements may be considered based on operational requirements and agreement with the line manager.
The successful candidate will be required to transfer their visa under the Embassy’s sponsorship.
How to apply:
Interested candidates must attach 1) an updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) and 2) a covering letter stating how you meet the requirements of the role.
Your application must also include examples of when you have demonstrated the required competencies in the Competence-Based Questions section of the online application form.
Applications that do not include these information will not be considered.
Closing date for applications is at 11:55 PM UAE local time on 28 October 2020.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
The recruitment process, including security clearance, is expected to take around two months.
Due to the large number of applications we receive, only those shortlisted for the next step of the recruitment process will be contacted.
The start date mentioned in the job advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
The British Embassy Dubai is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate on the application form /cover letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.