Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption.
The British Embassy in Lisbon is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking to recruit a temporary Post (Embassy) Security Manager to cover for an extended absence.
This is a key role in keeping staff, families, information, buildings and assets safe at the British Embassy in Lisbon and Vice-Consulate in Portimao, in accordance with organisational procedures. In doing so the jobholder will be providing advice and support to the Post Security Officer (Deputy Ambassador).
The Post Security Manager (PSM) will be the focal point for all security matters and implement commensurate security solutions. The PSM is responsible for operational health and safety matters, working hand in hand with the Estates team at Post.
The PSM leads the Embassy’s Support Team which provides essential transport and reception services to the Embassy.
- Daily interface and management of the guard force, ensuring service delivery against key performance indicators, ensuring guard awareness and response to emergency procedures, including fire and terrorist drills
- Preparation of security, emergency and event plans, guard briefing procedures
- In collaboration with the Regional Overseas Security Manager (ROSM), provide security advice including management and investigation of operational incidents.
Be point of contact for all event security, ensuring guest lists are received in sufficient time and additional resources deployed where necessary, taking into account budgetary constraints and any necessary changes and adjustments in the program when required. Ensure the proportionate safety and security measures are in place.
Security briefings for official visitors, temporary duty staff, new joiners and arriving families and assisting with training delivery to contractors.
Be part of post’s crisis management plans and take part in crisis exercises as and when required.
Develop collaborative security knowledge via networks with other mission’s security staff, the Police and diplomatic and private security firms. Carry out regular emergency drills and security training for staff.
Health & Safety
- Be the first point of contact for health & safety issues.
- Ensure all staff receive adequate training and instructions in emergencies and procedures.
- Experience in security management in corporate, police / government sectors, or other relevant experience
- Experience/knowledge of Health & Safety work practices
- Proven ability to communicate effectively (both verbal and written) to staff and other external parties, including law enforcement organisations
- Proficient English and Portuguese language skills (C1 level CEFR Framework*)
- Proven record of strong problem solving skills backed by sound judgement, discretion and diplomacy
- Attention to detail
Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
1 November 2020
Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
1 December 2020
This is a full time unfixed term contract (35 hours per week) expected to exceed 6 months subject to a 30 days probation period.
The British Embassy in Lisbon aims to offer an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role of € 27861.82 gross annual salary paid in fourteen instalments; plus a monthly meal allowance of €134.00. This salary is payable if the successful candidate is subject to individual income tax (IRS) in Portugal on the employment income in question. If the successful candidate is not subject to individual income tax (IRS) on their employment income in Portugal, and/or is not taxable elsewhere on such income, he / she will receive the above salary minus a reference amount approximate to the level of Portuguese tax that would be applicable if the income were subject to tax locally. Further information on this will be given to candidates during the recruitment process.
All staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Portugal are subject to local Portuguese employment law as well as internal regulations in force at any given time.
The successful candidate will be subject to a professional background and security clearance and must have pre-existing work authorisation for Portugal in order to apply.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Portugal. The British Embassy does not sponsor work permits.
The Embassy will not consider applications from existing staff who have not successfully completed their probation period or, in the case of staff on temporary contract who have not yet completed two thirds of their contract.
Visa/Passport requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Portugal and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. Additional requirements may become necessary after 31st December 2020.
* Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment. I can speak and write English according to CEFR Framework *: a) Basic user (range from A1-Breakthrough/beginner to A2-Waystage or elementary); b) Independent user (range from B1-Threshold/intermediate to B2-Vantage or upper intermediate); c) Proficient user (range from C1-Effective operational proficiency to advanced C2-Mastery or proficiency). For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
This job is based in Lisbon.We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
Additional Information (due to Covid-19):
- You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
- Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
- Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate on the application form /cover letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.