Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Policy & Political roles)
Economic and Prosperity
Main purpose of job:
The main purpose of this exciting role is to support the Economic Diplomacy Section in the British Embassy Seoul through high quality project work and administrative, Korean language and protocol support.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work across the wide range of the Embassy’s economic priorities, including on education and alumni engagement, delivery of activity on climate change as the UK builds up to host COP26 in 2021, as well as wider projects on UK-Korea economic collaboration as they arise.
The ideal candidate therefore would be flexible and able to balance a number of competing priorities, someone with experience of project and outreach work, and with experience of the UK and/or Korean education sectors. The British Embassy is an exciting and rewarding place to work, where you can make a real difference to developing the relationship between the UK and Korea. The working environment is supportive and friendly and there are lots of opportunities for learning and development.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
Project, protocol and administrative support:
- Provide support to the Economic Diplomacy Section, including but not limited to arranging meetings, protocol support and providing Korean language support.
- Support delivery of Economic Diplomacy engagement and events, including those delivering UK climate change objectives ahead of COP26 in November 2021.
- Working closely with the Head of Economics, create a plan for strategic alumni engagement as part of a wider education strategy.
- Update and develop the Embassy’s alumni database on a regular basis.
- Arrange meetings with alumni associations across Korea.
- Support delivery of the Prosperity Fund, liaising with implementers, suppliers and participants to ensure smooth delivery of events. Assist development of external public diplomacy opportunities, including university outreach. Ensure full spend against budget.
- Responsiblity for the Economic Diplomacy Section budget and forecasting.
- MS Teams Champion.
- Strong communication skills
- Fluent written and spoken Korean and English
- Ability to work with a wide variety of stakeholders and to take initiative
- Attention to detail
- Flexibility, and able to balance competing work priorities
- Experience with outreach activity and events
- Experience in the UK or Korean education sector
- Experience with project work
- Experience studying in the UK
- Budget management experience is desirable
Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Engaging Internationally
3 November 2020
Fixed Term, Full-time
36 hours per week
14 December 2020
The British Embassy takes L&D seriously and provides a range of L&D opportunities, from learning sets to speaker events, group learning to shadowing opportunities. Where job-specific training is identified the Defence Section and British Embassy will provide access to appropriate courses.
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law.
Standard working hours are from 0900-1715 Monday to Thursday and 0900-1700 Friday. Working hours may be longer prior to the actual event and on the event days.
No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position. The applicant must have or be able to obtain work authorisation in Korea in order to apply. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy Seoul are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Korean employment law.
All applications must be received on or before 23:55 local time on the day of deadline indicated above.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. We regret to advise that we will only be contacting short-listed candidates. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above.
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate on the application form /cover letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.