University of Melbourne
Job no: 0055857
Role type: [2 positions] Full-time; 1 Continuing and 1 Fixed term 12 months
Department: Research, Innovation and Commercialisation
Salary: UOM 6 – $89,182 – $96,536 p.a. plus 17% super (pro rata for part-time)
- Provide financial governance and accounting support to enable our researchers to deliver cutting-edge discoveries
- Diverse role: Gain exposure to a variety of accounting activities and develop your legal literacy Process improvement – We value your ideas!
The University of Melbourne would like to acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campuses are situated, the Wurundjeri and Boon Wurrung peoples, the Yorta Yorta Nation, the Dja Dja Wuurang people. We acknowledge that the land on which we meet and learn was the place of age-old ceremonies, of celebration, initiation and renewal, and that the local Aboriginal peoples have had and continue to have a unique role in the life of these lands.
About Research, Innovation and Commercialisation
RIC is a specialist team dedicated to enabling the University’s research and innovation mission by working closely with our academic and professional colleagues, industry partners, funding and government agencies. We have a passion to see our academics and their collaboration partners succeed, achieve research excellence and translate their discoveries into real-world innovation and impact.
About the Role
This is a great career development opportunity for a motivated self-starter with a background in Accounting and high attention to detail.
As a Research Accountant, you will support the University’s research community to deliver high-quality research outcomes by ensuring accurate, compliant and timely accounting and audit services throughout the research project life-cycle.
Collaborating with diverse stakeholder groups in a fast-paced, complex – and ever-changing – environment, you will gain exposure to a wide range of accounting tasks and insights into legal contracts, giving you the opportunity to broaden your skill set.
As a solution-driven problem-solver, you will proactively spot and utilise process improvement opportunities to enhance our service delivery.
In a typical week, you may:
- Coordinate and prepare accurate financial reports to acceptance for external sponsors, undertake thorough investigative action, resolving variances, and ensuring financial transactions comply with terms and conditions
- Prepare financial reports, supporting documentation, commentary and manage internal or external audit activities
- Maintain a sound knowledge of current University Policy and Procedures, relevant funding rules, tax obligations and financial legislation
- Provide high quality, responsive expert services to research communities to assist with grant bids, financial management and deliver accurate and timely reporting to research staff and external funding providers
With a background in accounting and a keen interest in legal contracts and grant agreements, you are motivated to take the next step in your career.
You will have strong interpersonal skills that enable you to identify key stakeholders and build positive and productive relationships across a complex organisation. As an engaging, confident communicator, you have the ability to communicate complex information in an easy-to-understand format and push back on unrealistic expectations when required.
You will be a team player who is looking to contribute to a collaborative team culture that values knowledge-sharing and professional development.
Ideally, you will further have:
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant discipline with subsequent relevant experience and/or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- Demonstrated experience in multiple funding source account reconciliations, variance resolution, preparation and authorisation of financial statements, acquittals and audits, and application of financial governance principles
- Experience in interpreting policy and contract conditions and provide advice, analysis and reasoned recommendations
- High degree of computer literacy and numerical data analysis skills – particularly Excel. (Desirable) Experience with Oracle ERP and GL Wand
- Disirable CPA or CA qualifications and or
- Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) scripting highly desirable and or
- Experience working with a University or similar large and complex organisation
About the University
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements,generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits .
We value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community and encourage and celebrate diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages, with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse people are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please apply with your CV and cover letter outlining your interest and experience. Please note that you are not required to provide responses against the selection criteria in the Position Description.
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact us at [email protected] .
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.