- Trinidad and Tobago, Spain
International Labour Organization
This position is located in the Finance, Personnel and Administration Unit in the Decent Work Team/ and Country Office (DWT/CO) for the Caribbean in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago. This work unit is responsible for the integrity of accounting, finance and administrative functions in the Office. It provides financial and administrative support to the daily operations of the Office by overseeing the budgetary and accounting tasks.
As a team member, the incumbent provides senior level finance support and is responsible for performing, completing and/or overseeing specialized financial management support services in an efficient, effective and client-oriented manner. The incumbent performs a range of administrative actions related to the financial operations of the Office. Work involves using the enterprise resource planning (ERP) system. The incumbent ensures the correct application, interpretation and adaptation of established financial rules and regulations, policies, procedures and guidelines. The incumbent evaluates and provides inputs into the design and development of improved financial services and delivery processes.
The position works under the supervision of the Senior Operations Officer. Supervision received is focused on facilitating service delivery, ensuring that agreed results are achieved and that work is coordinated and integrated with related services within processing timelines. Work assignments are generally carried out under minimum supervision with the incumbent operating with a high degree of independence. Work is reviewed for feasibility of recommendations and correctness of end results. Work involving the handling of complex and intricate finance-related matters including those affecting other related activities of the work unit is also reviewed.
- Internal contacts are with staff and managers in field offices, project locations and headquarters to provide finance support and guidance for the resolution of complex issues in compliance with applicable standards. Contacts are also to coordinate activities with other units for the delivery of interrelated services. The incumbent regularly liaises with and receives guidance from the regional finance unit.
- External contacts are primarily with service providers, banks and with counterparts in United Nations (UN) agencies and other international organizations to coordinate and follow up on pending issues. The incumbent shares information and contributes to resolving complex finance-related support matters.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Undertake and complete a range of specialized finance support functions and services. Initiate, process, review and follow up on administrative actions, including verifying that information and documentation is in compliance with financial rules and regulations, policies, procedures and applicable standards.
- Perform targeted analytical reviews and trend analysis of specific types of activities including extra-budgetary projects, ensuring proper authorization and complete supporting documentation, and check for fraudulent documents and transactions. Contribute to the preparation of financial analytical reports.
- Serve as a certifying officer for the Office as necessary.
- Undertake monthly bank reconciliation and follow up on outstanding issues including contacting banks to clarify issues on account statements.
- Review, correct and maintain a variety of financial, budget and other accounting records and documents to ensure that transactions are matched and completed. Maintain, monitor and reconcile budget data, including for overtime, salary deductions and other payments. Prepare detailed cost estimates and participate in budget analysis and projections as required. Prepare year-end closure of accounts in compliance with applicable standards and procedures.
- Review and analyse financial transactions performed by the concerned office(s) and ensure their overall compliance with applicable standards. Keep management informed of the internal control of financial and administrative activities and propose action as required.
- Conduct review of accounts and analyse information from multiple sources for financial status, implementation and monitoring reports, activities and projects. Follow up on VAT claims and outstanding claims on advances and closing of suspense accounts. Monitor and provide information on the utilization of resources for donor and other funding counterpart reporting.
- Assist in the follow-up on internal audit recommendations, draft responses to external audit inquiries and observations, for the consideration of the supervisor.
- Keep abreast of changes to financial rules and regulations, policies, procedures and other developments and provide guidance and deliver training to staff with the view to building knowledge. Oversee and guide the work of support staff performing finance-related work as required.
- Evaluate and propose improvements to work methods and processes with a view to ensuring optimum efficiency and effectiveness. Liaise closely with other administrative areas to ensure effective and smooth service design and delivery, recommending improvements on interrelated processes.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
- optional section (only if needed)
- Completion of secondary school education. Training in accounting or finance.
- Minimum of six years of operational or administrative support work experience, the majority of which in the provision of financial operations support services. Experience of working with an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system, in particular finance modules.
- Excellent command of English. Working knowledge of Spanish would provide an advantage.
Recommend your friend
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.