CONSULTANCY TO DEVELOP UNABU FIVE YEARS 2021-2015 STRATEGIC PLAN
- Background information
UNABU stands for Umuryango Nyarwanda w’Abagore Bafite Ubumuga, translated into English as the Rwandan Organization of Women with disabilities. It is a non-governmental organization aiming at promoting gender equality and the removal of various barriers preventing girls and women with disabilities from fully enjoying their human rights and participating in the country’s development. The organization was established in 2004 women with various disabilities and for women with disabilities envisioning a world where “Women with disabilities enjoy equal and equitable opportunities and actively participate in the country’s development.
UNABU empowers girls and women with disabilities to become agent of change, to demand their rights and to affirm their dignity as human beings. Since its creation and guided by the strategic plan ended December 2020, the organization has been implementing projects around capacity building of local groups of women with disabilities, strengthening the voices of women with disabilities in community development and empowering individual women with disabilities in income generating activities, human right, gender and gender based violence across12 districts of Rwanda and has reached out to around 5,000 Girls and women with disabilities organized into self advocacy groups based at cell level. Since 2016, the organization has registered markable growth whereby this is the time to strengthen its organizational foundations to ensure its sustainability, engagement and representation of the voice of its constituencies girls and women with disabilities.
As organization evolves, the need to review the strategic direction remains paramount in ensuring that UNABU retains its relevance. efficiency, effectiveness that ensure its sustainability. Accordingly, as part of UNABU institutional capacity strengthening, UNABU would like to review implementation its Strategic Plan (2016- 2020) and develop the next five year strategic plan 2021-2025. UNABU intends to undertake this strategic planning exercise through the guidance of a consultant. Through the strategic planning process, the consultant should ensure effective participation of various stakeholders at various levels including but not limited to rights holders girls and women with disabilities, UNABU members and duty bearers.
- SCOPE OF CONSULTANCY
UNABU’s strategic plan expired in December 2020, which necessitates the evaluation of its implementation as well as the prioritization of our next five years strategic direction. Indeed UNABU’s programmatic environment is constantly changing and is characterized by an evolving policy and political environment, shifting disability donors’ commitments, growing stakeholder numbers and expectations, COVID 19 pandemic, evolving staffing structure and capacity, amongst other factors. It is thus a right moment for the organization to reflect back on its past and think through the most effective way to capitalize on the new disability era and programmatic realities.
- Scope of assignment
Overall, UNABU is hiring the individual consultant and or firm to facilitate consistent organizational strategic planning process and come up with UNABU five years strategic plan that that takes into account the current internal and external operating environment in order to enhance UNABU’s effectiveness and sustainability in the area of policy and legislative advocacy as well as empowering girls and women with disabilities in Rwanda.
At the end of this consultancy, we expect that UNABU will have strategic plan, building on the achievements brought forward as part of the implementation of 2016- 2020 SP and cognizant of its ever-changing operating environment. To achieve this, the consultant will review and guide UNABU in clearly defining:
- our Vision, Mission, strategic areas and objectives; including priority focus areas for the strategic period
- organizational health assessment
- Our situational context, through a SWOT, PEST and other relevant analysis.
- Sustainability plan; including proposals for effective financial and Human resource strategies
- Gender and disability inclusiveness
- Propose a strategy for achieving the strategic objectives and key results;
- Our stakeholder map and identify relevant strategies to engage them to advance our stated objectives, stakeholder and
- Risk analysis and management approaches and strategies ,
- Functional organizational & leadership structure,
- Results and Resources Framework for the plan period including monitoring and evaluation policy to enable effective tracking of the strategic plan
- Fundraising strategy to ensure the plan implementation
- Costing of the strategic plan.
This assignment will involve close engagement with the internal UNABU senior management team (comprising of the Executive Director, Projects Manager, social economic empowerment Coordinator, Finance and Administration Manager) and entail a participatory process, including, but not limited to:
- A review of internal documents and benchmark with similar institutions/ organizations
- Through a consultative process UNABU board members, members, staff and selected partners/ stakeholders including girls and women with disabilities as rights holders and application of an appropriate tool of analysis, identify focus areas and develop strategic objectives and key result areas for the same;
- Facilitation of a strategic planning workshop for staff, board members and selected stakeholders to further build on the Strategic plan
- Conduct And establish a separate 4 pages report on organizational health assessment
- Drawing up of a draft Strategic Plan for the next phase and incorporating input from UNABU staff, Board and selected stakeholders and partners.
- Undertake a situation analysis of UNABU operations to date;
- Review the institutional capacity, organizational set-up, financial and administrative systems against the UNABU mandate and the identified strategic objectives and key result areas; and make recommendations, if any;
- Propose a strategy for achieving the strategic objectives and key results;
- Develop consistent risks management register and approaches
- Develop a Results and Resources Framework for the plan period;
- Develop both fundraising strategy as a standing alone strategy
- Develop Monitoring evaluation and reporting policy
- Develop advocacy strategy
- Hold stakeholder meeting(s) to validate the draft Strategic Plan;
- Finalize Strategic plan and submit to UNABU.
- Expected deliverables
- An inception report detailing the methodology/ approaches and timelines associated with this consultancy assignment
- A five-year strategic plan including a results and resources framework accompanied by
- Organizational health assessment report
- Monitoring and Evaluation Policy
- Standing alone fundraising strategy
- Advocacy strategy
- Risks management register and approaches
- Report on the process including major activities of the consultancy, the highlights of the strategic planning/consultation workshops with stakeholders and an evaluation of the workshop.
- Time frame
The strategic planning exercise is expected to be fully completed by 10th March 2021 for a period of 30 calendar days. The consultant will submit a detailed plan of work as part of the Expression of Interest.
- Required expertise profile
In order to be selected for this assignment, the Consultant must possess the following among other Academic and Professional qualifications:
|· A minimum of bachelor’s degree in the field of Administration, Organizational Development and/ or management, Development and gender studies, social sciences or in a related field
|· At least five years professional experience in strategic planning and management
· Experience in organizational and change management
· Prior working experience on disability, women’s rights, gender and gender based violence issues is an added advantage
· Demonstrated experience in working with non-government organizations including women’s rights organizations and organizations of persons with disabilities and other stakeholders in public sector development programs especially in the area of capacity development
Skills and Competencies
|· Ability to work with minimal supervision;
· Highly motivated and committed to UNABU values of Participation, Non-discrimination, Transparency, Good governance, Rights’ based, Excellence and Sustainability
· High level written and oral communications skills in English and Kiswahili;
· Must be result-oriented, a team player, exhibiting high levels of enthusiasm, tact, diplomacy and integrity;
· Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and professional skills in interacting with government and development partners;
· Skills in facilitation of stakeholder engagements/workshops;
· Evidence of having undertaken similar assignments;
· Experience in research, policy development, management and programming-related work.
- Management of the assignment
The consultancy team will be contracted and managed by UNABU. The consultants will work under direct supervision of Executive Director who will provide relevant background documents necessary for the assignment. UNABU shall be responsible for the coordination of meetings/workshops and other activities under the Consultancy based on the consultant’s schedules.
Consultant will be selected based on the following:
|1||Approach and methodology||25|
|2||Expertise and team composition||25|
|3||Credibility and reputation of the applicant||10|
|4||Professional Experience of the applicant for similar assignment||20|
|5||Price proposal, including competitiveness of fee rates
All documents and data collected in the process of the consultancy will be treated as confidential and used solely to facilitate the consultancy assignment. All information to which the consultant shall receive access to shall at all times be treated as the property of UNABU and shall not be disclosed saved for where express permission has been granted as such.
- Application process
The consultant will submit an Expression of Interest to UNABU; responding to the selection criteria outlined in the table above:
- A suitability statement; including commitment to his/her availability for the entire assignment;
- Technical proposal of 5-10 pages detailing their understanding of the assignment, methodology proposed, time frame,
- Updated curriculum vitae that clearly spells out qualifications and experience in relation to this assignment;
- Contacts of at least 3 organizations that have recently contracted the consultant to carry out a similar assignment along with copies of good completion certificates.
- Financial proposal
- Copy of valid certificate of registration of the consultancy firm provided by RDB.
- Proof of payment of taxes required in Country
- Please quote “UNABU Strategic Plan” on the subject line.
- Applications should be emailed to [email protected] not later than 19th February 2021 at 5:00 pm Rwanda Time.
Done at Kigali on 15 January 2021
 Nyarugenge, Gicumbi, Rulindo, Gakenke,Musanze, Nyabihu, Rutsiro, Nyanza,Muhanga, Bugesera, Rwamagana and Nyagatare
- To help us track our procurement effort, please indicate in your email where (ngotenders.net) you saw this tender/procurement notice