Mozambique is experiencing its worst food insecurity emergency since the 2015/16 drought, with a high number of households in need of emergency assistance. This is the result of multiple shocks, including tropical cyclones IDAI and Kenneth with associated torrential rainfall, severe flooding, and drought in southern semi‐arid areas. These shocks have significantly impacted crop production across the country as well as livelihoods, specifically in cyclone‐affected areas. Poor households are expected to continue facing crisis food security outcomes.
The French Red Cross (FRC)‐PIROI in Mozambique
The French Red Cross has directed the PIROI regional programme since 2000, a programme which aims to “reduce the impact of disasters and the effects of climate change on the populations of the south‐west Indian Ocean” through disaster risk awareness, prevention, preparedness, and response.
Reporting directly to the Head of Delegation ‐ Mozambique, DRR Project Manager is responsible for managing the base and implementing PIROI’s Disaster Risk Management (DRM) project in Mozambique. While performing all of his/her duties, he/she will comply with French Red Cross guidelines, and work with PIROI partners to implement activities.
The key goals of the employee are defined as follows:
- Goal 1: Implementing the DRM project in Mozambique
- Goal 2: Ensuring smooth running of the Quelimane base (HR and day‐to‐day management, representation, and security in the area)
- Goal 3: Supporting emergency operations, working with the Head of Delegation, RC/RC and external partners
Chain of hierarchy
- Reporting to the Head of Delegation ‐ Mozambique (Line Manager)
- Managing teams at the base
- PIROI’s Disaster Risk Management (DRM) team
- Mozambique Red Cross (CVM)’s DRM team and the Quelimane branch
- Technical and institutional partners in Mozambique
- The Delegation’s support teams in Mozambique
Skills and knowledge required
- Thorough and well‐organised
- Expertise in project management cycles and tools
- Independent and proactive in proposals for action
- Ability to organise public events
- Good communication skills
- Ability to represent the Red Cross, good people skills
- Direct and functional management skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software is essential
- Fluency in English (oral and written) is essential
- Fluency in Portuguese and/or Spanish would be a plus
- Knowledge of the Red Cross Movement
- Prior experience in Mozambique would be an asset
Training and experience
- Advanced training in disaster risk management and/or project management
- Experience in the field of Disaster Risk Management
- Experience in facilitation and/or education
- Experience in supervising teams and volunteers
- Good knowledge of the Mozambican context
- Category B driving licence essential
- Location: Quelimane (Zambezia) – Mozambique
- Length of assignment: 12 months
- Start date : July 2021
- Status: Expatriate
The French Red Cross reserves the right to fill the position before the closing date for applications.
The French Red Cross (the President and by delegation, the Director General) processes, as treatment responsible, personal data concerning you for the purposes of the study and treatment of your application. Access to your personal data is strictly limited to authorized persons of the French Red Cross and to our subcontractors to achieve the mentioned purpose. As part of the terrorist financing and money laundering fighting system, any selected candidate may be subject to verification with our CSI Web subcontractor.
Your data will be kept for 2 years after the last contact with you and then archived according to the applicable limitation periods. If hired, your data will be kept for the duration of the employment contract and then archived.
In accordance with the amended law “Informatique et Libertés” of the 6 January 1978 and the General Data Protection Regulation of the 27 April 2016, you have the right to access, rectify, delete under certain conditions, oppose for legitimate reasons your data and to limit the treatment. You also have the right to define guidelines relating to the use of your data and the way in which you wish your rights to be exercised after your death. You can exercise these rights by contacting the HRIS Department at the following address: [email protected]
In any case of difficulty, you can contact the Data Protection Officer (DPO) at the French Red Cross headquarters at 98, rue Didot – 75014 Paris or at the following email address: [email protected]; you can also file a complaint with the French data protection authority, the CNIL.
- Passport valid for more than 6 months at the moment of departure
- Up-to-date vaccination card / fitness for travel
To be better acquainted with the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement, we invite you to follow two training sessions online, free and accessible to all. These training sessions constitute a real advantage for your application: WORC (The World of Red Cross and Red Crescent) is an e-learning course on the fundamental principles and operations of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. Its 12 modules address subjects such as the origin and history of the Movement, its fundamental principles, its emblem, the International Federation, the ICRC and national societies. It is dedicated to all profiles: volunteers, employees, members or people wishing to get more information on the biggest humanitarian movement in the world. Stay Safe is dedicated to every staff in a position to carry out international missions on behalf of the Federation or a National Society of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. The course aims at developing a common culture of security management within the Movement in order to enable a better understanding of the main threats and risks for humanitarian actors in the field, and offers solutions to restrain their impact. You will find these lessons on the IFRC Learning Platform open to all by clicking on the following link: https://ifrc.csod.com/client/ifrc/default.aspx
How to apply
Merci de nous faire parvenir CV et lettre de motivation : https://emploi.national.croix-rouge.fr/fe/tpl_CroixRouge02.asp?s=4A515F4E5A565B1A&jobid=85984,7272358687
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.