The Finance Group (FG) is a critical and strategic business function in UNOPS and serves as an authoritative and integrated partner in the organization on strategic financial planning and budgeting, business strategy and practices, financial analysis and risk assessment, financial management services and long term organisational treasury and investments. As the steward of resources of a self-financing UN entity, FG is accountable for timely cost recovery and reporting to partners, maintaining the integrity and transparency of financial management of resources in accordance with the highest standards of ethics and organisational/international accountability framework and the accurate and transparent financial reporting to governing bodies, clients, partners and stakeholders.
The Finance Specialist – Planning and Budgeting reports to the Head of Unit – Financial Planning and Budgeting who provides broad supervision and guidance. The role is responsible for supporting the implementation of the annual budgeting and target setting cycle, based on strategy requirements. It is also responsible for developing organisational analysis on progress towards strategy implementation.
Summary of functions1. Financial planning
- Corporate advisory
- Knowledge management and innovation
1. Financial planning
Provide input and advice on the organisation-wide processes for budgeting, forecasting, target setting and resource allocation.
- Assist the Head of Unit – Financial Planning and Budgeting to recommend key assumptions required for annual budgeting and target setting process.
- Consolidate UNOPS overall budgets and targets.
- Provide input and advice as required to ensure budgets and targets are appropriate and that action plans are established to achieve the necessary financial outputs.
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of budgets, highlighting deviations.
- Assist in the review investment funding and associated investment proposals.
2. Corporate advisory
- Support and assist the Head of Unit – Financial Planning and Budgeting and the Deputy CFO by advising on the development financial and non-financial KPI’s.
- Analyze actual financial results to understand key business drivers and variances to budget/forecast.
- Participate in discussions on the development of UNOPS Strategic Plans and Mid-Term reviews and development results reporting.
- Support and assist the Head of Unit – Financial Planning and Budgeting and the Deputy CFO to work with Senior Management to help them better understand financial trends and financial opportunities
3. Knowledge management and innovation
- Contribute to the development of internal capacity across the organization in terms of financial planning.
- Constantly monitor and evaluate policies, procedures, methods, tools and associated systems to ensure its utility, applicability and efficacy.
- Design/approve refinements to processes to maximize the benefits of management information system to enhance efficiency and facilitate organisational/management monitoring, oversight and reporting.
- Lead/organise training events and design/set training agenda to build capacity of stakeholders on business planning.
- A Masters degree in finance, accounting, business administration, economics or other related financial field is required.
- Bachelors in finance, accounting, business administration, economics or other related financial field and 2 additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in financial planning in a large international organisation or business corporation is required.
- Some experience in UN system organisations an asset.
Full working knowledge of English.
Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
How to apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.