Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation Divisional programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with Divisional objectives.
- Plans and leads components of multi-disciplinary teams, leads and/or participates on Organization-wide, cross-Divisional committees, project teams, and working groups and/or provides specialized expertise on technical networks and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies.
- Develops technical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related methodologies, tools, systems and databases etc. to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of programmes of work, projects, products and/or services.
- Designs and conducts research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative approaches and strategies, new tools, technologies, technical reports/publications, and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical/policy/ specialist/advice and expertise.
- Responds to country requests for technical and policy assistance, provides technical advice, assistance and solutions to Decentralized Offices and provides technical backstopping to field projects.
- Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to, and ensures the quality / effectiveness of, capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, on-line tools.
- Promotes international cooperation/advocates best practices, increased policy dialogue and provides technical expertise at international/intergovernmental meetings.
- Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate Strategy.
- Coordinates FAO’s work on forests and climate change adaptation, resilience and mitigation (the latter in close collaboration with the REDD+ team).
- Provides technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of Forestry Division programmes, projects, products and services focused on climate change adaptation and resilience in accordance with Forestry Division objectives, the FAO Strategic Framework and Programme Priority Areas (BE1 ‘ Climate and BL5 ‘ Resilience).
- Designs, plans and implements normative activities on forests and climate change, including on ways to achieve adaptation-mitigation synergies, and develops guidelines, best practices and training materials.
- Provides technical and policy advice and supports capacity development of FAO member countries on integrating forests and trees in their national climate strategies and plans (e.g. Nationally Determined Contributions, National Adaptation Plans), and makes available relevant technical and informational materials.
- Works with diverse stakeholders at global, national and subnational levels to advance ecosystem-based adaptation approaches.
- Plans, designs and implements forests and climate change adaptation-mitigation projects and activities in member countries, including project formulation, resource mobilization, and technical backstopping.
- Coordinates with all relevant FAO technical Divisions, Offices and Centres and Decentralized Offices to plan and implement activities related to climate change adaptation and resilience, with strong links to mitigation.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Advanced university degree in forestry, natural resources or a closely related field.
- Seven years of relevant experience in the field of forest resources management and climate change, which includes international experience and working experience in developing countries and/or countries in transition.
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- Extent and relevance of experience and technical knowledge on the links between forests and climate change, including those related to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)
- Extent and relevance of experience in analyzing forests and adaptation/resilience and mitigation issues
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects, budgets and human resources efficiently
- Demonstrated ability to mobilize resources
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on ngotenders.net
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.