The humanitarian situation in Myanmar is characterized by a complex combination of vulnerability to natural disasters, food and nutrition insecurity, armed conflicts, dire intercommunal tensions, statelessness, displacement and human trafficking.
In Myanmar, HI has operations in Yangon, Mandalay, Kachin State, South-eastern Myanmar (Kayin State ad Bago), and Rakhine State.
The consultancy on Gender Analysis takes place in the frame of HI’s project funded under MHF, “Improving child development and services to children and persons with disabilities affected by displacement in Central Rakhine”. The overall objective of the project is to strengthen detection, referral and treatment of developmental delays and physical impairments among children, including children with Acute Malnutrition, living in displaced and local communities in Sittwe. The project commits to adopt and mainstream gender and conflict sensitivity approach across three sector of interventions fostering gender inclusion and social cohesion. The project is being implemented in Central Rakhine and the target beneficiaries of this project are IDPs in camps and communities in villages around Sittwe.
Aim and Objectives of the Consultancy:
HI’s work is guided by its gender policy which underlines the principle of equal access to fundamental rights for men and women. This consultancy on gender maintaining will complement concrete measures that HI have already in place such as: 1) the organization’s gender, age and disability policy; 2) adapted programming to ease women’s safe participation; 3) ensure collection of data disaggregated by gender, age and disability throughout the project following monitoring and evaluation framework and; 4) promotion of diversity in the recruitment and representability sex, religion and disability. The main objective of the Consultant is to:
1) Carry out an in-depth analysis of gender roles in the specific context of intervention and study the way these roles impact and are impacted by HI’s project.
2) Provide recommendations in the form of an action plan to HI for mainstreaming gender in this specific project
3) Train HI teams (16-20 staff) to have a gender sensitive approach and provide tools to implement and follow up the gender mainstreaming action plan. The service provider is requested to propose a methodology to meet the proposed aim of a consultancy. The consultant will work with the Technical Unit Manager (TUM), who will supervise the overall consultancy work with close support and coordination with Field Coordinator including arranging field level activities.
- Inception report with detailed methodology, data collection and analysis plan and work plan which will be validated by HI team led by TUM to launch of the actual analysis and trainings
- Final, print-ready analysis report, no more than 20 pages. The report should be limited to 20 pages written in simple English language and must be comprehensive: detail information could be kept in appendices. The final report should be edited professionally incorporating all comments and corrections if any. Completed checklists, questionnaires, case stories, photos. The report should be structured as below.
- Executive summary
- Description of the program
- Objectives of the analysis
- Methods and limitations
- Detailed findings and analysis in response to the analysis
- Conclusions and recommendations;
- Training report for 4 days training on gender mainstreaming provided to project team and its stakeholders including process and output of the respective trainings.
- Presentation of key results to HI team and gender mainstreaming tools to be adapted for project implementation.
Qualifications and experience expected of the consultant:
- Advanced university degree in Gender Studies, Sociology, Anthropology and/or other relevant fields
- At least 5 years of experience in assessment, situation analysis, evaluation, anthropological studies in gender or disability
- Knowledge and practice of gender transformative programming / disability mainstreaming
- Understand health and physical rehabilitation
- Strong and proven experience in link with taking into account diversity issues
- Knowledge and experience of Myanmar context and on specific country related diversity issues
- Strong analytical skills
- Adaptability to work with people from different socio-cultural backgrounds, languages, and across different managerial levels
Given current situation of Myanmar, in country consultant firm will be given preference including organization of on-site face to face trainings. HI is committed to protecting children and vulnerable adults from harm. All staffs are expected to comply with the child Protection and PSEA Policies. Applicants for this position will be assessed regarding their suitability to work with children and vulnerable adults. Reference within the advertisement HI Myanmar’s commitment to the organizations Child Protection and PSEA Policies, making reference to the special prevention measures taken to ensure safer recruitment processes are followed. The successful candidate will be required to complete police check and self- declaration form to help verify their suitability to work with children.
Interested candidates are required to apply before 25th April, 2021, at the following email address: [email protected] indicating ‘VA no_20210322A _ Gender Analysis Consultant_Name” in subject. The start of the consultancy services is subjected to evolving situation of Myanmar.
The application shall include:
1. A brief cover letter (indicating Myanmar visa status in case of international consultant firm)
2. A Narrative proposal including analysis content, methodology and time schedule
3. A financial proposal
4. Company registration certificate
5. ID of the people who will perform the consultancy