Position: MEAL Manager
Location: Syria, Damascus
Type of contract: 12 months
Starting date: ASAP
Gross Salary: to be defined according to the candidate’s profile.
Application deadline: 30th of April 2021
WeWorld-GVC, recently constituted from the merger of two NGOs, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, WeWorld-GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. WeWorld-GVC works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the WeWorld-GVC team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision. At present, the main donors are Italy (AICS), the EU (DG ECHO), UNICEF, OCHA, and Belgium (DGD).
WeWorld-GVC in Syria
WeWorld-GVC is present in Syria since 2011, with an emergency education intervention in favour of Iraqi refugees in Aleppo. The programme aimed at improving the quality and the accessibility of educational services for students, with special needs in 12 primary schools in Aleppo.
Since 2014, WeWorld-GVC has been providing humanitarian assistance to the Syrian population and IDPs with interventions in different sectors such as Education in Emergency and Wash. At present, the main donors are EU (ECHO), individual countries (AICS) and United Nations.
Purpose of the Role
The MEAL Manager acts in the role of Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist in a Country Role. Manages the total quality function for programmes in Syria. Ensures adherence and compliance with established national regulations and standards and achievement of quality standards through monitoring and evaluation and other reviews. Supervises field office staff.
Main functions and duties
Design and Manage Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Systems
- Develop and implement a system to collect and analyze program performance data for evidence-based programming decisions.
- Develop or adapt project specific MEAL tools.
- Guide field testing of MEAL tools with WeWorld-GVC and partners and modify as necessary.
- Work closely with Program Managers and Project Officers to process, analyze and use information collected to assess trends, improve management, and adjustments as necessary.
- Perform regular MEAL System and tools reviews to ensure compliance with donor requirements.
- Track donor and WeWorld-GVC reporting requirements and deadlines and provide MEAL information to Program Managers for drafting reports.
- Draft SoPs for MEAL plan design and relevant monitoring mechanism.
- Adapt or design the key indicators protocols that can apply to selected programmes.
- Monitoring progress on the implementation of MEAL activities and MEAL Procedures at the projects level.
- Participate in the recruitment, selection and training of MEAL staff.
- Ensure staffing of the MEAL department is appropriate to program needs and to budget availability by preparing MEAL team organigram, defining work-flows and outlining all job descriptions of the MEAL staff.
- Provide direct supervision over MEAL unit staff and ensure that coaching and performance plans are completed on time and with adherence to WeWorld-GVC quality standards.
- Coordinate MEAL staff to ensure consistency of standards, harmonization of information and input collection from beneficiaries as well as sharing of learnings.
Develop and Maintain an Enabling Environment for MEA
- Work to enhance capacity for quality programming through training and capacity development of all WeWorld-GVC staff in MEAL, including areas of program assessment, design, monitoring & evaluation methodologies.
- Design and implement annual MEAL work plans that support the WeWorld-GVC Lebanon country strategy and its Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning strategy.
- Support in the organisation of project learning and reflection events.
- Ensure adherence to the implementation of MEAL plans across all projects.
- Ensure proper communication with the program team, making sure that the MEAL strategy, decisions and future endeavors are shared in a transparent manner.
Strengthen Management Information Systems
- Develop and maintain project MEAL SharePoint site containing all the M&E tools for each project and MEAL produced material.
- Ensure coherence and consistency of MEAL tools and data platforms.
Provide Direct Technical Support
- Assist Program Managers in preparation of the periodical report to donors.
- Review baseline, midterm review and final evaluation, and assist with project evaluations or other assessments, including rapid or in depth sectoral assessments, in new or existing project areas as needed.
- Orient WeWorld-GVC and Partners on MEAL tools and roles and responsibilities.
- Identify bottlenecks in the program MEAL systems, recommend appropriate solutions and ensure follow-through.
- Participate in project development and proposal writing.
- Provide technical support to other departments for designing research and data collection methodologies.
Coordinate the Overall Country Accountability and Learning Systems
- Facilitate operational research for contextual understanding, identifying opportunities, vulnerabilities, capacities and resources.
- Work to ensure that lessons learned and best practices are incorporated into new program design.
- Build WeWorld-GVC staff capacity to increase beneficiary accountability in programs by providing guidance, training and/or resources.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- Master degree in international cooperation and/or social sciences or related fields.
- Experience and Knowledge of current approaches to MEAL in relief and development programs.
- Strong computer skills essential, including ability to operate Microsoft Word, Excel, Project and database management software, statistical packages.
- Ability to assess needs, develop and write new project proposal.
- Fluent in English, both written and verbal.
- Minimum 3 years’ MEAL experience in relief programs and development programs.
- Demonstrable experience participating in assessments or surveys.
- Sound experience with both quantitative and qualitative methods, including survey development, conduct assessments, collect and analyse primary and secondary data.
- Proven experience in donor requirements and expectations, particularly ECHO, EU, AICS, ability to transfer knowledge to diverse audiences through training and mentoring.
Skills and Attitudes
- Strong flexibility and capacity to adapt behavior to the needs of the situation.
- Capacity to work autonomously and in problems prevention/resolution.
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues.
- Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities including building professional relationships with senior decision-makers and influencers / leaders.
- Good communication, negotiation skills and sensitivity in dealing with local institutions on critical issues.
- Cultural, gender, religion, and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Strong commitment to the Mission of WeWorld-GVC, genuine interest for international cooperation development topics.
- Knowledge of GIS, basics, QGIS, OpenStreetMap.
- Experience with Mobile Data Collection and related software & language (e.g. OKM, Kobo, STATA, SPSS).
- Working knowledge of Arabic is a plus.
- Prior knowledge of the country/region.
How to apply
- Please, send your CV and Cover Letter by applying here:
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.