ICRC’s Iraq Mission legacy, click here for more information
EXTERNAL / INTERNAL
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is a neutral and independent international humanitarian organization, which assists and protects victims of armed conflicts and other situations of violence. The ICRC is currently looking for staff for its support operations in Iraq.
- By joining our organization, you will have an opportunity to practice your profession in stimulating, complex, and sometimes challenging environments, where your work can make a difference.
- You will work with colleagues from various fields of expertise in a cross-cutting manner to help victims of conflict and other situations of violence. You will be dealing with humanitarian situations that require experience, resourcefulness, and innovation to achieve the best possible impact.
- You will work for the oldest major international humanitarian organization in the world, adding to your sense of achievement in alleviating the suffering of people and communities and giving you the chance to promote humanitarian values in these turbulent times
- You will benefit from a competitive employment package, including different possibilities for career and personal development. You will take part in an onboarding course and follow continuous training, to build your career within the ICRC and beyond.
- The competitive compensation package, a monthly salary with benefits including (13th salary, end of service indemnity, medical coverage, life insurance, a mobility allowance, and social security scheme).
Job Title: Mechanic
Duty Station: Iraq – Baghdad
Reports to: Vehicle Fleet Manager
Duration of Contract: One-year fixed term contract (with the possibility of renewal to an open-ended contract where performance and competencies are key to be selected for further contractual continuity)
Date of Issue: 22 March 2021
Deadline for applications: 31 March 2021
The ICRC’s Logistics (Log) Division is to provide professional support for the ICRC’s diverse and complex activities, developing timely, cost-efficient, and specifically tailored supply chain management solutions while ensuring quality, compliance, and accountability and maintaining high ethical standards.
The mechanic is responsible for inspecting, repairing, and maintaining ICRC vehicles, machinery, and other equipment according to the service schedule and manufacturer’s recommendations. He carries out routine works as per workshop requirements. An excellent mechanic must have manual skills and great attention to detail. He must be able to work with various machines and tools as well as follow all safety precautions.
- Repairs trucks, light vehicles, generators, forklifts, and other ICRC mechanical equipment, as well as welding, body repairs, and painting, as required.
- Offer consultation on maintenance and preventative procedures to machine and vehicle users.
- Monitor inventory and order spare parts and equipment when necessary.
- Design a plan of action for all maintenance tasks and upgrades.
- Troubleshoot reported problems and resolve them promptly.
- Keep logs of work and report on issues.
- Ensures that all fleet safety, security measures, and standards are in place, available and respected.
- Actively assists in keeping inventory for the workshop and its stores as required.
- Assists with fuelling and cleaning vehicles where required.
- Supervises, trains, and coaches the Mechanic’s Helper.
- Clean and apply lubricants to machinery components when required.
Education and Professional Experience required:
- Technical school degree or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 2 years work experience in a similar field.
- Automotive background experience is preferred.
- Valid driving license.
- Computer knowledge.
- Good oral skills and basic reading and writing skills in English.
- Experience working with generators as an asset.
- Knowledge of boats and motorcycles an asset.
- Very good knowledge of the local area and integration into a professional network.
How to Apply:
- All qualified and interested candidates should forward their applications with a detailed updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) indicating email and phone contacts with a minimum of two professional references, a cover letter stating why you think you have the necessary skills and qualifications for the said job opportunity and your salary expectations. Marked to ([email protected]) with the subject line: SURNAME First Name/ Vacancy title.
Applications will only be accepted with valid residency and work permits in Iraq.
The successful candidate will undergo a three months’ probation period.
NB: If you have not heard from us within a month of receiving your application, please consider your application unsuccessful.
ICRC DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS INCLUDING (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, OR PROCESSING).