Job Title: Pharmaceutical Key Expert / MEDISAFE Project
Reports to: Expertise France Project Manager
Type: Long-term consulting assignment / Contract until March 2021 / Possible Renewal
Job level: Senior level
Expertise France is the French international technical cooperation agency. The agency has more than 350 employees at headquarters and a staff in the field as project managers and long and short-term consultants from a variety of backgrounds (administration, NGOs, private sector, etc.). They all share the same passion: development cooperation.
The general objective of MEDISAFE is to support the fight against the production and trafficking of substandard and falsified medicines in 11 countries: Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Rwanda, Seychelles, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia.
MEDISAFE is part of the European Union Chemical Biological Radiological and Nuclear Risk Mitigation Centres of Excellence (CBRN CoE). It is financed by the European Union for the benefit of 11 partner countries that have decided to participate in tackling the issue.
Expertise France and its 7 European partners form a consortium that implements the project and manages cooperation between networks of international and local experts.
Specifically, the project will contribute to fight against organized crime and to ensure better health outcomes, based on two strategies:
- Contribute to strengthening partner countries’ capacities and added value in the identification of falsified medicines and pharmaceuticals, and in the fight against their production and trafficking in Eastern and Central Africa.
- Strengthen regional cooperation and harmonization in terms of approaches, procedures, and joint operations to combat the production and trafficking of falsified medical products and medicines.Work Plan Medisafe: Pharma Key Expert will have to implement the Medisafe work plan on the following activities:
- LEGAL FRAMEWORK: Promotion of the adoption of comprehensive and harmonized legislations and regulations specifically criminalizing the production, storage, transportation and sale of falsified medicines and medicinal products
- CAPACITY BUILDING: Improved technical capabilities to address the falsified medicines and medicinal products challenge
- INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION: Enhanced international cooperation concerning falsified medicines and medicinal products
- SUPPLY CHAIN SECURITY: Increased security of physical pharmacies, informal points of sale and online/internet
Responsibilities: The Key Pharmaceutical Expert is in charge of the technical strategy of the project under the leadership of the Team Leader and in coordination with the Key Legal expert.
- In collaboration with the Project Management Team, the Pharma Key Expert take a leading role in developing the technical implementation methodology for the activities laid out above. This includes producing terms of reference for the activities and adequate supporting documentation (training material; etc.)
- Elaborate the training strategy and undertake the production of training material; based on existing resources and in coordination with the Project Management Team; for the activities he is responsible for.
- In collaboration with the Project Management Team, take a leading role in ensuring the technical relevance of the project; through the organization and participation in project workshops, regular exchanges with the Project Management Team and relevant experts. Make recommendations in terms of adjustments if needed;
- Participate in communication and coordination with the project’s stakeholders, including partner countries, the EC, the Regional Secretariat of the CBRN CoEs, international agencies, consortium members and short term experts.
- Support the identification and technical supervision of the local experts and technical working groups; by drafting terms of reference; reviewing CVs; providing mentoring and stimulating exchanges within the Medisafe web-based collaborative platform; etc.
- Produce the related technical reports.
Required knowledge, skills and qualifications
- University level education with a scientific degree relevant to the pharmacy field
- Team management skills preferably with multi-disciplinary and multicultural teams
- Proven communication and negotiation skills
- Fluency in oral and written English;
- Skilled trainer in English and/or French (in both languages is an asset) General professional experience
- Minimum 5 years of proven relevant experience to this assignment;
- Specific professional experience
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience in projects related to falsified or counterfeit medicines;
- Knowledge on pharmaceutical production and distribution systems in markets outside of the EU;
- Experience as a lecturer and/or trainer;
- Working experience in Africa and preferably in the ECA region is an asset
How to apply
- Please send your CV and cover letter to the following e-mail addresses:
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your e-mail & cover letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.