Position: Project Manager Agriculture/DRR Mozambique
Project: Strengthening community resilience with gender equity in the province of Manica
Location: Chimoio with regular travels to projects areas and Maputo office
Type of contract: a first 3 (three) month collaboration contract subject to verification of the achievement of specific objectives (these objectives will be agreed together with the Country Representative upon arrival on assignment); a second collaboration contract of 9 (nine) months renewable, following the positive evaluation of the first three months of contract.
Starting date: May/June 2021
Gross Salary: to be defined according to the candidate’s profile
WeWorld-GVC, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, WeWorld-GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. WeWorld-GVC works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the WeWorld-GVC team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision. At present, the main donors are Italy (AICS), the EU (DG ECHO), UNICEF, OCHA, and Belgium (DGD).
WeWorld-GVC has been working in Mozambique since 2000 with development and emergency projects in the fields of education, food security and DRR in the provinces of Maputo, Gaza, Inhambane, Manica, Zambézia and Cabo Delgado. WeWorld-GVC carries out emergency projects in the provinces of Manica and Cabo Delgado; a three-year project to mitigate Niño drought effects in the province of Maputo starting in 2018; and in 2019 it has been intervening in response to IDAI and Kenneth cyclone to assist affected populations; and in 2020 it has been intervening in response to COVID-19, social cohesion and peacebuilding in Cabo Delgado province. At present, our main donors in the country are Italy (AICS), the EU (ECHO), the UN (UNICEF, WFP, UNDP and FAO) and Swiss Cooperation.
The project intends to work in Manica Province through agriculture activities for increase the resilient and DRR (Disaster Risk Reduction).
The action focuses on three pillars:
– Agriculture: the training of farmers on agro ecology, zootechnics (goats) and agrotransformation is foreseen. Agriculture kits will be delivered and solar pumps will be provided for community gardens.
– Wash: the formation of local water management committees and the construction of wells for drinking water are envisaged.
– Health: the construction / rehabilitation of health centers and mãe de espera houses affected by cyclones is foreseen
– DRR (disaster risk reduction): training and accompaniment of local disaster risk management committees is envisaged.
The Project Manager will works under the direct responsibility of the Country Representative and will be responsible for the successful implementation of the project, providing guidance to the project team in achieving the agreed goals within in the respect of time, quality and budget standards; in addition it is required to support the Country representative in expanding the action of WeWorld-GVC in Mozambique.
Main taks and Responsabilities
- Implement approved project plans (including the establishment of milestones) within tolerances set by the Country Representative
- Provide supervision, guidance, coordination and monitoring of the project staff, ensuring clarity over project plans and priorities and encouraging effective team work
- In collaboration with the Country Representative, contribute to the development, upgrade and implementation of an appropriate and effective strategy for the involved sectors of intervention
- Participate in project evaluations and assist in the analysis of the results, assess project impact and effective use of resources
- Provide quality advise to the donors on issues that may impact the achievement of project outcomes
- Validate the work plans prepared by local agronomist and local coordinator
- Supervise quality and transparency of the data reported
- Other tasks as requested by the line manager
Coordination and Representation:
- Ensure relations with communities and local government are in place
- Support in the establishment and maintenance of relations with other NGOs
- Ensure constant and cooperative relation with Donors
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned project staff, and relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs), with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships
- Participate in coordination meetings, representing WeWorld-GVC and feeding back the Country Representative with relevant issues and updates
- Organize relevant meetings/presentations of the livelihood and social cohesion to the relevant stakeholders (especially for soft component activities) and follow up the implementation
- Participate in internal coordination meetings held in WeWorld-GVC Offices
- Participate in the food security cluster meeting
- Participate in the monthly PM meeting called by Donors.
- Participate in the recruitment process and training of team staff as required by project plans with program coordinator
- Lead and motivate the project team by building a collaborative work environment
- Ensure proactive attitude and inputs towards identification of training for staff
- Ensure that behavioural expectations of team members are established
- Ensure that performance reviews are conducted
Monitoring of project activities and Administrative:
- Definition of the monitoring plan and specific tools to assess the progress of the project
- Monitoring of activities implementation and of results/objectives achievement through field visits, meetings with partners and stakeholders, data collection and analysis
- Manage the project budget and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet WeWorld-GVC standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance, in strict collaboration with WeWorld-GVC Administrator in Mozambique and in the HQ
- Ensure that all expenditures comply with WeWorld-GVC Financial Rules and Regulations
Reporting and Accountability:
- Setting up and monitoring of periodic (monthly) internal reporting to be filled in by partner and project staff
- Drawing up of narrative and financial reports, interim and final (in collaboration with WeWorld-GVC local office and headquarters) to be sent to the donor in compliance with agreed procedures and time schedule
- Prepare activity/project reports and analysis of the data collected on a regular basis or upon request
- Support on technical, financial and any other report upon request
- Provide regular reports/updates to the Country Representative on all activities carried out
- Any other task not here listed and necessary to the projects and activities
- During, or at the end of the assignment, provide a proper handover
Qualifications and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, social sciences, economics, international affairs or related field required.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken Italian or English
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken Portuguese/Spanish
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- At least 3 years of professional humanitarian/development experience (better in agricultural development projects)
- Previous experience in coordination
- Proved experience in managing projects funded by AICS and UE
- Proven experience in grants management
- Experience in donor reporting and proposal development
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrable program/technical and budget management skills, planning, reporting, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Ability to assess needs and write new project proposal
- Excellent relationship-building, interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively represent We World in consortium, clusters and with donors
- Strong negotiation skills
- Leadership, planning, organization and teamwork skills
- Proven ability to design and lead training engagements with staff and partners to enhance skills and adapt to changing program demands
- Proactive and dynamic attitude
- Ability to adapt and work under constraint, under pressure and in complex and multicultural contexts
- Interpersonal skills and intercultural approach
- Good listening and communication skills
- Good negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Positive attitude to work, self-reflective, motivated, inspired, collegial
- Strong commitment to the Mission of WeWorld-GVC, genuine interest for international cooperation development topics
- Demonstrates integrity with regards to NGO values and ethical standards
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Knowledge of Italian would be considered an asset
Experience with agriculture (agro ecology) programming, resilience and DRR
How to apply
- Please apply at https://weworld.intervieweb.it/jobs/project_manager_agriculturedrr_mozambique_130213/it/
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.