Position: Project Officer
Location: Damascus, Syria
Type of contract: 12 months with possibility of extension
Starting date: 20th of May 2021
Gross Salary: to be defined according to the candidate’s profile.
Application deadline: 8th of March 2021
WeWorld-GVC, recently constituted from the merger of two NGOs, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, WeWorld-GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. WeWorld-GVC works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the WeWorld-GVC team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision. At present, the main donors are Italy (AICS), the EU (DG ECHO), UNICEF, OCHA, and Belgium (DGD).
We World – GVC is present in Syria since 2011, with an emergency education intervention in favour of Iraqi refugees in Aleppo. The programme aimed at improving the quality and the accessibility of educational services for students, with special needs in 12 primary schools in Aleppo.
Since 2014, We World – GVC has been providing humanitarian assistance to the Syrian population and IDPs with interventions in different sectors such as Education in Emergency and Wash. At present, the main donors are EU (ECHO), individual countries (AICS) and United Nations.
Purpose of the Role
The Project Officer implements a specific part of a multi-sector project, under the direct line management of the Programs Manager. Assists in monitoring budget, and in seeking strategic steer. Participates in the assessment of community needs and resources to support in programme design, development and implementation. Supervise field office staff.
Main functions and duties
- Provides support in the management and the implementation of the Education, WASH and First Line Emergency Response activities, specific of the project in Aleppo and Deir-Ez-Zor governorates.
- Participates in remote project work groups and committees with the organizations’ specialists involved in the project.
- Assist the Programs Manager in planning and monitoring costs in line with budget’s availability, project’s objectives and donor’s requirements
Monitoring and reporting
- Contributes in monitoring the progress of implementation of activities in collaboration with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) department.
- Supports in regularly and timely preparing donor’s reporting, collecting accurate information and ensuring confidentiality of sensitive information.
Team Management and HR
- Supervises, guides and coordinates the assigned local staff by encouraging effective teamwork.
- Ensures staff have clearly defined objectives, understand their responsibilities and receive meaningful feedback on their performance.
- Participates in regular team meetings, ensuring team members are kept informed on issues relevant to their work and providing opportunities for feedback.
- Assists the Programs Manager in establishing and maintaining an inclusive, diverse and collaborative work environment, and ensures that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
Strategy development and programme development
- Support the Programs Manager by conducting needs assessments in areas of interest, coordinating with relevant staff and developing concept notes and project ideas.
- Participates in developing We World – GVC Strategic Plan and Project Proposals, and supports in conducting feasibility studies.
Communication, coordination and representation
- Under the guidance of the Programs Manager, maintains networks with operational and institutional interlocutors involved in the realization of the project.
- Support in preparing visits of donor representatives, HQ visitors, and other stakeholders upon request.
The duties and responsibilities set forth above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to perform additional duties.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Social or Political Science, Development Studies, Anthropology, Economics, Project Management, or similar.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Good knowledge of MS Office.
- At least 1 year of experience in Project Management Support & Monitoring (including budget management, reporting and data management).
- Previous experience in supervising, mentoring, and managing a team in a cross-cultural setting.
Skills and Abilities
- Proven communication, interpersonal, representation, negotiation, promotion and diplomacy skills
- Experience in working with partner organizations, donors and local authorities in programs development and implementation.
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and perform under stress conditions.
- Ability to multi-task and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines.
- Ability to think strategically and conceptually and to translate these into concrete results.
- Capacity to work autonomously and in problem prevention/resolution.
- Integrity in line with Humanitarian Principles and ethical standards.
- Cultural, gender, religion, and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Strong commitment to We World – GVC Mission.
- Previous experience in the Middle East.
- Experience in Education, Wash or Emergency Preparedness and Response in humanitarian or development settings.
- Knowledge of Arabic.
- Knowledge of main donors’ policies and procedures (EU, UN Agencies, Italian Cooperation).
How to apply
- Please, send your CV and Cover Letter in English by applying here:
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter how (ngotenders.net) you have heard about this position.