DRC’s Headquarters in Copenhagen supports, engages and works with organisations, individuals and migrant and refugee communities speaking a wide variety of languages, from all around the world. The primary languages DRC interacts with include but are not limited to Arabic, Farsi/Dari, French, Pashto, Somali, Spanish, Ukrainian, Urdu. To effectively support, include, communicate and collaborate with speakers of those languages, long-term translation and interpretation services into the above-listed languages from English, and vice versa, are required. These services will cover a wide range of activities with a technical humanitarian focus, from simultaneous interpretation for workshops, webinars and trainings, to written translation of documents that are shared both internally and externally. Due to current COVID restrictions, much of the interpretation and translation might be virtual, such as over Zoom. There may however be instances of inperson services required in the future. Especially when targeted at external audiences including strategic partners and donors or the general public, the interpretation and translation services must of be of the highest quality.
DRC seeks to establish a Global Purchase agreement for interpretation and translation services. The service agreement is expected to make available interpretation and translation services with an agreed notice period. The HQ global purchase agreement is a contract that DRC HQ enters into with multiple service providers for a specific type of service, that DRC HQ staff can use when they need the service during the duration of the contract. For interpretation and translation, the contract will be for three years (36 months). Service providers with whom DRC chooses to enter into an agreement with are pre-qualified and will not have to participate in further bidding for provision of the specific services from DRC HQ.
Scope of work
The specific tasks of the service provider comprise the following deliverables.
NB: We recommend all qualified companies and freelancers to submit proposals with the services and languages they can provide, as we acknowledge that not all companies can provide all translation and interpretation services stated in the ToR.
- Written translation (price per word)
- Simultaneous interpretation of online training sessions, webinars, workshops, etc. (price per hour)
- Consecutive interpretation of online training sessions, webinars, workshops, etc. (price per hour)
- On-site simultaneous interpretation for training sessions, conferences, workshops, etc. (price per hour) 2/3
- On-site consecutive interpretation for training sessions, conferences, workshops, etc. (price per hour)
- Remote simultaneous interpretation of physical training sessions, conferences, workshops, etc. (price per hour)
- Remote consecutive interpretation of physical training sessions, conferences, workshops, etc. (price per hour)
- Voice-over interpretation of video or visual material (price per minute)
- Subtitle translation of video or visual material (price per word)
While at times there may be multiple requests, at other times no services may be required.
Location and Duration
The assignments may be both remote without travel required, and on-site, where travel would be expected. The duration of the assignment is not limited, DRC seeks services on a continuous on-demand basis.
Quality, qualifications and experience indicators for the services rendered
- Arabic, Farsi/Dari, English, French, Pashto, Somali, Spanish, Ukrainian or Urdu as a mother tongue (or equivalent level)
- Considerable (at least 5 years) experience in Arabic, Farsi/Dari, English, French, Pashto, Somali, Spanish, Ukrainian or Urdu interpretation and translation, preferably demonstrated experience with technical humanitarian terminology and contexts (international NGOs or UN)
- Quality of interpretation and translation work, including internal quality control for translated deliverables.
- Ability to process large and complex assignments coherently and in strict adherence to DRC rules and guidelines.
- On-time delivery of written translation is expected between 2-7 days, depending on the size and purpose of the written material. Delivery of brief content (max 500 words) will be expected within 2 days. Delivery of training material (300+ word each document) will be expected within 7 days. The delivery dates can be adjusted and agreed upon in close communication and coordination with DRC when necessary for the highest quality results.
- There will also be occasions where an interpretation arrangement may be needed within a 3-7 days’ notice for a brief meeting or consultation, where good availability and flexibility is expected.
- Flexibility, accuracy, efficiency in providing the services requested.
- Excellent coordination, communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to fulfill multiple requests for multiple events.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment, with non-native English speakers.
- Possess diplomacy, tact, patience and the ability to respect and be sensitive to other cultures.
Please note that DRC will only contract consultants that are tax registered for the provision of their consultancy services.
RFP closure date and time: 1 June 2021, 16:00, local Copenhagen time