- Mekelle, Tigray
POSITION TITLE: Senior Operations Officer
Duty Station: Mekelle, Tigray
COUNTRY PROGRAM: Ethiopia
RESPONSIBLE TO: Area Manager
Deadline : July 25, 2021
STATUS: Full Time
Type of Employment: Contract
SUPERVISORY CAPACITY: Operation / Admin officers
**Position open to Ethiopian National Candidates**
ALIGHT & COUNTRY PROGRAM DESCRIPTION/MISSION
Alight, formerly the American Refugee Committee (ARC), is an international non-profit, nonsectarian organization that has been provide ding life-saving humanitarian assistance for refugees, disaster affected, and Internally displaced people for over 40 years. Alight is helping millions in many countries in countries in Africa, Asia and Europe, including Iraq, Kosovo, Haiti, Sudan, South Sudan, Rwanda, Somalia, and currently starting Ethiopia program. Alight was registered in Ethiopia under Civil Society Organizations Proclamation No. 1113/2019 on February 01, 2021, with registry number 5370.
The overall objective of ALIGHT Ethiopia/Tigray program is to provide life-saving assistance to the IDPs and conflict affected in Tigray through Shelter/NFI, WASH, Protection, Health and Nutrition interventions; enable them respond to recurring emergencies and help build resiliency of communities through strengthening of existing social services such as health and water facilities/structures and support creation of durable solutions IDPs and conflict affected communities through a set of integrated activities. The Ethiopia Program of the ALIGHT has fully-fledged offices in Addis Ababa and regional office in Mekelle. And Mekelle Operations Officer will handle the overall administration, procurement & logistics support for to the ALIGHT program in Tigray
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
Under the direct supervision of Tigray Area Manager, The Operations Officer is responsible for the overall Procurement, Administration & Logistics management of Tigray regional Office. S/he will make sure that all programs in Tigray are fully supported timely and accurately in all type of logistics needs.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Directly responsible for providing operational support during preparation, planning and implementation of project activities in line with ALIGHT ’s procedures. This includes
functions related to procurement, contracts, Letters of Agreement (LOAs), financial
- Initiate and follow-up a broad variety of administrative and operational actions necessary
for the timely implementation of projects, including travel requests, letters of introduction/instructions, briefing schedules and procurement of equipment.
- Assist in the preparation and updating of detailed procurement plans, preparation of
tenders, drafting and review of letters of agreements and contracts to ensure the successful
and timely implementation of projects;
- Assist in preparation of work plans, monitoring and review of project implementation to
ensure that all operations activities are carried out in line with the plan and raise any
concerns with Operation Manager.
- Assist in drafting initial project budgets, maintain regularly updated financial monitoring
system of portfolio of projects in the respective sector, prepare field budget authorizations,
budget revisions, funds transfer requests, and preparation of project progress and final
financial statements (including mapping of the project expenditures for Result Based Budget when required).
- Establish and maintain up-to-date basic records required for project implementation, and
reference records on directives and procedures of a technical or administrative nature
relating to field operations work; reconcile operational records with other corporate records
of the organization regarding personnel, budget, training, purchases, contracts and reports.
- Provide guidance and advice to project staff in the areas of operations and administrative
matters; arrange meetings on day-to-day project matters.
- Maintain a register of where all assets procured by the projects are and ensure proper hand
over of assets and liaise with Finance Unit for recording into the ALIGHT corporate assets
- Brief junior operations personnel regarding all aspects of the job, ensuring adherence to
procedures, guidelines and work requirements; ensure accuracy and diligence of the work
- Maintain record, prepare and submit monthly report to Tigray Area manager and Country Office by 2nd of every month
- Manage and supervise all staff reporting to him/her.
- Manage performance of all staff reporting him/her.
- Orient and build capacity of all staff in his/her location in relation to Operations management.
- Security Management:
- Update the Area Manager on any security incidences as they occur.
- Perform other related duties as required by Supervisor.
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- University degree in Economics, Business Administration or other related field.
- Preferably MA degree
- Three years’ relevant work experience in project management/operations and support in International NGO
- Computer proficiency in use of standard MS Office packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Tigrigna is needed
- Fluency in other local and National languages is a plus
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES
- Excellent coordination and communication skills
- Should have good documentation and dissemination / presentation skills
- Should be able to live, work and travel in an insecure environment, following strict security guidelines at all times.
- Proven capacity to work in a quickly moving, unstable situation and work against targeted outputs with tight time frames and deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- High level of confidentiality and integrity.
- Experience of working under high pressure, in fast-paced environments.
- Strong service orientation with the ability to proactively approach staff to understand their needs and to find effective solutions.
- Strong organizational skills ability to handle multiple priorities in an autonomous manner.
- COVID-19 sensitivity
- Understanding of and commitment to the “Humanitarian principles”
- Understanding of and commitment to Alight code of conduct and organizational goals
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates can submit 1 page motivation/cover letter and Current CV and updated CV with three references (2-3 pages) to Alight Mekelle office located in Adi-Haki-sub-city, kebele/ketene 19, next to UNHCR office, Mekelle Tigray; or send to [email protected] before July 25, 2021 COB.
- Please, indicate the position/title applied for in your cover letter and/or subject of the email
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Only qualified applicants will be short listed and contacted.
How to apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.