Hellenic Ornithological Society / BirdLife Greece is a Non-Governmental Organisation for the protection of wild birds and their habitats in Greece. It was founded in 1982 and its mission is to ensure a sustainable natural environment for birds and people. Its work includes a wide range of actions; from protection and research, through education, raising of public awareness and policy making. HOS is a partner of BirdLife International, the largest global partnership of birds and biodiversity conservation organisations.
Job calling: Wetland Conservation Officer
The Hellenic Ornithological Society (HOS) / BirdLife Greece is looking for a full-time partner in the Conservation Department of the NGO in Athens, in order to coordinate the implementation of HOS’s Wetland Conservation Projects.
The ideal candidate should have at least five years of professional experience, be able to quickly understand the requirements of a project, manage different projects at the same time, to contribute with his/her knowledge and to be effective – efficient.
The Project Officer is responsible for the design, implementation, full monitoring and reporting of the project, the achievement of all actions and objectives as they are predetermined, as well as its proper financial execution, based on the requirements of the project.
- Coordination of the collaborators (HOS’ staff and external collaborators) who deal with the Wetlands project
- Cooperation with other project partners
- Coordination, technical planning, operational (technical and financial) planning and monitoring of the implementation of all the actions of the project in collaboration with the Coordinator of the Conservation Sector, as well as the preparation of the necessary technical reports
- Financial monitoring of the project and technical supervision of the financial reports, in collaboration with the accounting department, the Coordinator of the Conservation Sector and the Director
- Representation of the Organisation in the framework of the projects
- Corroboration with documented information, resulting from the project, other actions of HOS related to the project and its results, with special emphasis on the support of study, conservation and communication- awareness actions
- Design and writing of project proposals for funding, in collaboration with the Coordinator of the Conservation Sector
- Methodology design, review of existing information, data collection and analysis
- Implementation of field actions, when necessary
- Preparation of scientific papers (presentations at conferences, publications in scientific journals, etc.) within the project
- Meetings with the staff of HOS, external collaborators, partners, competent bodies within the project
- Responsibility for the purchase of equipment under the project
- Auxiliary participation in other conservation actions of the Conservation Sector
- Writing texts for the communicative purposes of HOS
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant scientific field (Biology, Ecology, Environmental Sciences or similar subject)
- Five years at least of professional experience in management of natural environment and especially wetland ecosystems
- Proven skills in environment management
- Fluency in oral and written Greek and English, and ability to edit texts in both languages
- Communication fluency, comfort and contagiousness in oral speech, ability of written, oral and digital presentations
- Ability to write articles and press releases in collaboration with the HOS Communication Team
- Adaptability, ability to learn quickly and manage multiple projects, take initiatives
- Ability to coordinate complex and multidimensional projects
- Excellent organizational skills and time management ability
- Ability to meet deadlines, compose and monitor schedules
- Excellent knowledge of using MS Office
- Attention to detail, creative spirit and spirit of cooperation
- Possibility of travel inside Greece and abroad
- Driving License
- Fulfilled military obligations (for male candidates)
- Master’s degree in a subject related to the position
- Proven knowledge of bird fauna
- Ability to understand and manage financial issues
- Experience in submitting funding proposals
- Experience in managing European projects (especially LIFE Projects)
- Knowledge of additional foreign languages
- Experience of cooperation with NGOs and knowledge of their operation
- Volunteer experience in projects – actions of the HOS or other environmental NGO
- Knowledge of other PC programs such as GIS, Photoshop, etc.
- Knowledge of the operation of wetland ecosystems and experience in their restoration actions, as well as the related bird fauna
- Candidates should submit their CV and cover letter explaining the reasons why they are interested in cooperating with the Hellenic Ornithological Society and why they are suitable for the position.
- Both the CV and the cover letter should be submitted in English and clearly cover all the items mentioned above regarding the position profile.
Application deadline: 16 April 2021
- E-mail: [email protected]
- To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email & cover letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.