Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption.
The British Embassy in Podgorica, Montenegro is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. The Embassy is now looking to recruit a full-time security guard, who can act as a backup driver and handyperson when required. The person will be responsible for ensuring the safety and security of the Embassy compound and providing prompt and safe transport services when required.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Security Guard/Receptionist (40%)
- To act in a polite and professional manner as a first point of contact for visitors and for enquiries received over the phone. Ensuring that all information and messages are passed to the relevant Embassy staff;
- Unlocking and locking the Embassy building, checking external windows and doors of the Embassy and, if needed, Residence to ensure that all are properly secured at the end of each working day;
- Supervising vehicle and pedestrian access gates to the Embassy compound, including recording the details of all non-Embassy vehicles and individuals. Supervision of visitors when they enter the Embassy compound where required;
- Searching of bags and the person of all visitors (where needed) and issuing all relevant passes;
- Scanning all incoming mail and recording the details before passing it to Management Section;
- Ensuring physical security during events in the Embassy and Residence and, when needed, outside these premises;
- Working with consular colleagues to maintain records and distributing visa documents;
- Monitoring the external CCTV system and carrying out patrols and physical checks of the Embassy grounds on a daily basis;
- Carrying out monthly radio checks, and regular tests of fire, incident and bomb alarms, as directed by the Security Manager. Responding to any incidents;
- Maintain a record of all keys and fobs, and ensure the functioning of the access system (software and hardware);
- Supporting the British Council with any mail, visitors or exams as needed.
2. Back up Driver (40%)
- Drive Embassy vehicles and transport staff or visitors in a safe and timely manner;
- Daily checks of Embassy vehicles to ensure they are clean and maintained to in line with FCDO Overseas Transportation guidance;
- Safeguard the vehicles and any associated documents and equipment at all times;
- Prepare paperwork relating to vehicles (journey record sheets, fuel and maintenance records) and presenting to Line Manager for approval;
- Deliver letters and other materials and assist with customs clearance;
- Maintain the garage and equipment to the highest standard.
3. Handy person (20%)
- Repairing or maintaining fixtures and fittings in the Embassy where required;
- Ensuring tools and equipment are well maintained;
- Support the corporate services team by processing small payments where needed.
- Good level of written and oral communication skills in local language and English;
- Driving licence (B category);
- 6 years full, clean driving licence and professional driving skills;
- Excellent knowledge of the local area;
- Basic IT working knowledge skills;
- Ability to work as part of a team and respond flexibly to changing circumstances;
- Good level of personal initiative and the ability to manage own time and workload efficiently.
- Previous experience in security of diplomatic properties;
- Ability to write short security reports and follow written instructions;
- Ability to work with technical equipment like CCTV.
- Availability to work weekends and evenings when required (overtime payments apply).
Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
28 October 2020
Fixed Term, Full-time
Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
1 December 2020
This is a full-time fixed-term contract for one year with possibility of extension.
The successful appointment is subject to confirmation of a background check and security clearance.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Podgorica are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Montenegro employment law.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Embassy will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
* Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C2 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
Additional Information (due to Covid 19):
There is a possibility that the selected candidate might need to work remotely (work from home availability);
- You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate on the application form /cover letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.