Consultancy – Data Management & Visualization Specialist, Data & Analytics (D&A), DAPM NYHQ (remote based)
Job no: 535581
Contract type: Consultancy
Location: United States
Consultancy Title: Data Management & Visualization Specialist
Section/Division/Duty Station: Data & Analytics (D&A)/DAPM/HQ
Duration: 235 days over 11.5 months
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you. For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments. UNICEF has over 12,000 staff in more than 145 countries.
D&A is facing ever increasing demands from internal and external stakeholders for more data, delivered faster, and placed in beautiful products. This has put much greater pressure on the data management and communication teams within DUU, that despite having raised efficiency and quality with the introduction of new tools and techniques, still find themselves under-resourced to meet this enlarged product scope.
This demand has naturally led to the need for someone to manage data sources, coordinate analytical outputs, and publish them in complex data visualization products. This assignment covers that need, and moreover works to assure that UNICEF’s data products continue to be globally relevant in what is a highly competitive and rapidly shifting data landscape.
You’ll work closely with subject matter experts, communication specialists, and information managers to gather requirements, specify designs, and implement data management and visualization solutions that will be deployed on UNICEF’s cloud services platform. You will develop effective visualizations such as dashboards and other related products to drive insights, to make our stories more compelling, to drive change and ultimately create value for children. You will have a passion for data visualization and a portfolio which demonstrates technical skills paired with a strong design aesthetic.
Terms of Reference / Deliverables
The position will report to the Information & Communication Technology Specialist in the Data Use Unit, but closely interface with Statistics Specialists in the Data Analysis and Innovation Unit as well as thematic experts in the Programme Division. The incumbent will be responsible for delivering the following:
- Maintain a Tableau-based Education Dashboard and working with education specialists deliver a second version.
- Oversee the migration and configuration of UNICEF’s data catalogue to a new World Bank NADA platform, and maintain/enhance data assets.
- Maintain and enrich the indicator metadata held in UNICEFs Reference Data Manager, and data and reference data in the UNICEF Indicator Data Warehouse.
- Design, deliver, and deploy COVID-19, SDG, and other interactive data dashboards as required, including mobile responsive design and country and regional office customisations.
- Increase data savvy in field offices through design of data visualization and management global webinars, courses and other training for field offices.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Art, Design, Data Journalism, Graphic Design, or other technical or visual-related fields..
2) Work experience
- 2 year+ professional work experience in data visual design, data journalism or related fields with international organizations, news agencies, academia or in a related industry.
- Experience designing UX frameworks
- Visual portfolio required.
- Technical data visualization experience utilizing BI tools such as Tableau, Power BI (and similar libraries) for interactive web graphics and dashboards.
- Experience working with tools and languages for data transformation, e.g. R, Python.
- Understanding of the SDMX standard
- Knowledge of markup languages such as JSON
- Strong analytical skills, ability to analyze raw data, draw conclusions, and understand how best to visualize.
- Fluency in English. Advanced skills in a second UN language desirable.
- Good judgment, initiative, high sense of responsibility, tact and discretion.
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and ability to establish harmonious working relations in a multicultural environment.)
- Completed profile in UNICEF’s e-Recruitment system and provide Personal History Form (P11) Upload copy of academic credentials
- Financial proposal that will include:
- your daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference (can be downloaded here: https://www.unicef.org/about/employ/index_consultancy_assignments.html
- travel costs and daily subsistence allowance, if internationally recruited or travel is required as per TOR.
- Any other estimated costs: visa, health insurance, and living costs as applicable.
- Indicate your availability
- Any emergent / unforeseen duty travel and related expenses will be covered by UNICEF.
- At the time the contract is awarded, the selected candidate must have in place current health insurance coverage.
- Payment of professional fees will be based on submission of agreed satisfactory deliverables. UNICEF reserves the right to withhold payment in case the deliverables submitted are not up to the required standard or in case of delays in submitting the deliverables on the part of the consultant.
U.S. Visa information:
With the exception of the US Citizens, G4 Visa and Green Card holders, should the selected candidate and his/her household members reside in the United States under a different visa, the consultant and his/her household members are required to change their visa status to G4, and the consultant’s household members (spouse) will require an Employment Authorization Card (EAD) to be able to work, even if he/she was authorized to work under the visa held prior to switching to G4.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Deadline: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter & on the application form where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.