Who is Water Mission?
Water Mission is a rapidly growing Christian engineering nonprofit working to end the global water crisis by building safe water, sanitation, and hygiene solutions in developing nations and disaster areas. Guided by love, excellence, and integrity, we are driven to share clean, safe water and God’s love with all. To date, we have served nearly 7 million people in 57 countries. Working at Water Mission is as much a calling as it is a career, and we are searching for people with the courage, passion, and drive to help us change the world. Read more about What We Believe, our Statement of Faith, and our Christian Mission.
What is the opportunity?
The Engineer Manager for Technical Standards is responsible for leading the production of documentation and training materials on technical engineering and construction standards for safe water, sanitation, and hygiene projects. This position will be responsible for managing team members that are focused on this effort. This will require a commitment to servant leadership and sound engineering principles, as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills. This is a full-time position reporting to the Director of Engineering and Innovation.
Travel to remote locations in developing countries is required. As needs arise, candidates need to be prepared to travel up to one to three months out of the year (i.e., multiple trips during a single calendar year totaling one to three months).
The Engineering Manager, Technical Standards will:
- Work in a posture of humble service to God and others
- Commitment to Water Mission’s values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity
- Manage the development of engineering and construction standards for worldwide projects, which will include leading of team members that are also focused on these efforts
- Lead relevant research initiatives and interviews while ensuring that information is timely and accurate
- Work across engineering disciplines and develop a base level of understanding of other disciplines as necessary
- Produce detailed explanations of complex technical concepts, while also distilling those concepts down into easy to understand descriptions
- Wisely discern the level of understanding of the intended audience for the development materials
- Ensure that final products have received appropriate review and approval from ministry leaders
- Ensure that final products are of high quality, including accuracy of minor details and consistency with Water Mission style and messaging
- Partner with other departments to incorporate the Living Water strategy into developed content
- Ensure and maintain the global consistency of all developed content
- Manage content review processes as the ministry grows and technology shifts
- Develop and manage project scopes, schedules, and budgets
- Manage multiple simultaneous projects
- Maintain good communications with multiple team members across multiple countries and time zones
- Maintain good communications with outside entities
- Manage competing priorities and concurrent deadlines
- Work within cross-cultural environments and overcome stereotypes and language barriers
- Prepare and give presentations to other departments, country program office staff, strategic partners, donors, and volunteers
- Give knowledgeable proposals to ministry leaders on the dissemination of produced content that will aid in effective training of global staff and partners
- Track and measure the effectiveness of produced content
- Lend support to disaster response activities as needed at headquarters, in field offices, and in unknown remote locations
- Provide leadership and development to direct reports. Work with staff to foster an environment of professional growth, in alignment with Water Mission’s strategies and objectives. Consults with peer management and senior leaders to successfully align departmental resources and priorities across Water Mission.
- Manage and develop assigned staff, establishing goals and objectives, coach and manage performance, including discipline, motivation, and annual reviews; support continuous learning and development that enhances individual performance and organizational capability.
What is required?
- Personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ
- Alignment with Water Mission’s Statement of Faith and core values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering – Civil, Chemical, and Environmental engineers preferred. Electrical and Mechanical engineers will also be considered.
- Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) preferred
- 5-10 years of engineering experience preferred, with a minimum of 2 years in project management
- Experience in managing teams preferred, not required
- Knowledgeable skills with office computer programs (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook) and familiarity with engineering programs such as AutoCAD, EPANET, Microsoft Project, etc.
- Legal authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship
- Excellent relationship skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- High attention to detail
- Experience in developing countries (preferred, not required)
- Foreign language skills (beneficial, not required)
- Ability and willingness to travel to remote locations in developing countries is required
- Ability and willingness to travel up to one to three months out of the year (i.e., multiple trips during a single calendar year totaling one to three months) required
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 25 percent of the time, mostly in developing countries. Most international trips are 1-4 weeks in length and require this person to ride in long car rides on rough terrain and stand for extended periods of time in hot weather.
How to apply
Please use this link to apply: https://watermission.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=57&source=aWQ9MTE%3D
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.