Access Now (accessnow.org) is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, working on issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Team members are distributed across six continents, working locally, regionally, and globally to achieve our mission.
About the role
As a Human Resources Coordinator, you will provide comprehensive people-support to Access Now’s Team Members located in North America, Asia, and Africa. This position is housed within the HR Operations team, reports through the People Experience Director, and liaises closely with other members the global HR and Operations Teams, as well as with members of all programmatic teams.
Functions encompass professional support for performance and talent management processes, employee engagement, organizational culture, and core operational capacities.
What you will do
Performance and Talent Management (40%)
- Guide Team Members and managers through year-round performance management processes, providing coordination and process input to people leaders
- Assist in implementation of peer and 360º feedback mechanisms
- Support Team Members and managers with coordination of identified professional development activities
- Respond to various requests for guidance on performance interventions
- Assist in maintaining full documentation of performance and talent processes, including compensation and role change outcomes
Team Member Engagement / Culture (40%)
- Build trusted relationships with Teams to provide day-to-day HR support
- Align with HR Operations Team and leaders to act on Team Member feedback, engagement surveys, and issues that are raised
- Serve as initial point of contact for Team Member concerns and issues, offering efficient problem-solving
- Effectively elevate issues that require management support, intervention, and/or support from the Human Resources Director
- Support activities and work that fosters connections and relationships between regional and programmatic teams
- Guide and support workplace processes that reinforce the Organization’s culture, work/life balance, and policies that support Team Member experiences
Core Operational Capacity (20%)
- Ensure proper maintenance of HR records and files through use of Organization’s cloud-based HR information system
- Partner closely with HR recruitment leads to accept handoff of new-hires, leading administrative and cultural onboarding processes
- Provide policy guidance and information to Team Members as needed
- Ensure applicable compliance with employment regulations, policies, and procedures
- Assist Team Members with leave requests, planning, and coordination
- Participate on various standing and working groups to support planning, idea sharing, and project implementation
You have a passion for, and track record of success in, supporting teams through work in a complex human resource environment. You are culturally competent in understanding and working with team members from wide-ranging backgrounds. You are an empathetic communicator, and thrive working collaboratively with others. You have a finely-tuned attention to detail, a sense of humor, and an infectious team spirit. You have the ability to own and manage multiple projects at once, and an appetite to continuously learn new tools and tactics. You are excited to be a thought partner to your fellow teammates in identifying opportunities for impact, and to keep Access Now’s mission at the forefront of day-to-day work.
Skills, education, and mindset you will bring
- Three to five years of experience working in a human resources environment
- Understanding of and comfort around actively supporting performance and talent management strategies
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills to support teams in a hybrid, office/remote work environment
- Flexibility to effectively support globally-distributed Team Members in multiple countries and time zones
- Outstanding communication skills, paired with cultural sensitivity and passion for human resources strategies
- Ability to handle sensitive information with discretion
- Strong familiarity with federal, state, and local laws regulating employee relations practices
- Excitement about continuous learning, trying new things, and being a member of a global team
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, and effectively balance competing priorities
- Fluency in English
It’s helpful to have
- Past familiarity with human resource information system (HRIS) solutions
- Proficiency in a second language
- Experience with administrative tasks including payroll processing, development of training programs, and employee database management
- Experience working in a nonprofit/nongovernmental organization environment
Time Commitment and Location
This is a full-time position supporting our Team Members located in North America, Asia, and Africa. While we are accepting applications from qualified individuals in the United States, and have preference for candidates in the Greater New York City area, we will consider applicants in the metropolitan Washington, DC area. The successful candidate must have work authorization in the location in which they will be based. We will be unable to sponsor visas or relocations for this role.
Access Now offers competitive compensation and benefits packages that align with our office localities. Initial placement for this role is anticipated around $55,000 USD annually. Benefits for this specific role include paid healthcare – medical, dental, and vision – insurance, as well as access to a 401k retirement savings program. Team Members also benefit from a strong global culture aligned around:
- Work-life balance…including a generous paid time-off program
- Professional development and growth opportunities
- Extensive workplace flexibility
- Connection to a diverse, global team of passionate, principled professionals
- Organizational resilience and support for all team members
- Opportunities to recharge (including one month of paid refresher leave after 4 years)
How to Apply
Please submit the following documents through the APPLY FOR THIS JOB link:
- Résumé/CV (removing all personally identifying information such as address)
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for this HR role
Our hiring teams review applications submitted through our Career Openings page; email submissions are not accepted. In order for us to communicate with you on the status of your application, please be sure to add apps.bamboohr.com to your contacts list, and check spam or junk folders so that you do not miss updates from us.
We are a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity, and seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
How to apply
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.