Every employee of IRI is responsible for carrying out the Mission of IRI and demonstrating the Core Values in their day to day operations. The Core Values, which are IRI’s foundational building blocks include: Excellence– We believe in quality results delivered by investing in people. Freedom– We believe in exploration and experimentation to be agile and responsive. Respect- We believe in trust, empathy and empowering people. Teamwork- We believe in diversity, inclusion, and the power of global collaboration. Transparency– We believe in open communication and clear decision-making. Accountability- We believe in personal responsibility as the foundation of success.
The Writer/Editor is will be responsible for drafting and editing a range of external content, including long-form publications, polling materials, op-eds, blogs, talking points, congressional testimony, promotional materials and website content. In addition to conducting thorough copyedits for fluency of language/argument/structure and proofreading, the Writer/Editor should be able to review content products to ensure that they meet both IRI’s high standards of quality and are in line with IRI’s overall messaging and institutional positions.
This position reports to the Deputy Director of Communications and will work closely with all members of the team including the Director of Communications and the Vice President for External Affairs.
This position is part time (up to 29 hours per week).
- Undergraduate/graduate degree preferred in communications, political/social science, international relations or related field.
- Proven experience as a writer/editor with deep knowledge of foreign affairs, national security and/or development issues, and domestic and international politics.
- Minimum 3 years relevant experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proven ability to handle a wide range of writing formats, including promotional materials, long-form publications, op-eds and speeches.
- Proven ability to handle a wide range of copyediting tasks.
- Ability to exercise judgment on the quality and messaging of external content.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities
- Research, write, edit, fact-check and proofread IRI external communications materials as needed, including providing constructive editorial feedback on products authored by IRI program teams;
- Work closely with IRI program staff to develop and execute promotional pieces and publications, working independently to flesh out concepts into concrete products;
Produce first drafts or revisions of op-eds, letters to the editor, and other editorial pieces for IRI principals, Board members, and other high-level public figures in the appropriate editorial voice;
Independently develop engaging, creative editorial “hooks” for written materials about IRI programs and reports;
Participate in regular External Affairs meetings focused on editorial strategy and content planning
How to apply
Thank you for your interest in this position! Please provide your resume and cover letter to the external link provided below. Thank you again for your time.
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.