The post is located in the PCT Legal and User Support Section, PCT Legal and User Relations Division, PCT Legal and International Affairs Department, Patents and Technology Sector. The PCT Legal and User Support Section provides legal advice on PCT matters to users of the PCT system (in particular applicants, their agents and PCT Contracting States), implements changes to the PCT Regulations and other changes within the PCT system and reaches out to PCT users and potential PCT users through various training activities.
The main role of the incumbent is to ensure the resolution of and to manage the distribution of special handling cases addressed to the PCT Legal and User Support Section by the PCT Operations Division and to provide information, advice and assistance to PCT applicants and agents, PCT Contracting States, industrial property Offices and PCT Authorities, on the legal and procedural aspects of the filing and processing of PCT applications.
The incumbent works under the supervision of the Deputy Director and Head of the Section.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will perform the following principal duties:
- Research and prepare drafts of legal opinions, studies, briefs, reports and correspondence on the legal functioning of the PCT;
- Provide information and legal advice to PCT applicants and agents, PCT Contracting States and other PCT Divisions and other parts of WIPO on PCT matters where precedent and/or practice exists and where the issues are of limited complexity and/or sensitivity;
- Administer incoming queries about specific PCT applications; monitor replies to these queries, ensuring contents of the responses are legally sound and keep records and statistical information on the cases received and the nature of the queries; communicate accordingly with concerned staff in the Sector on problems identified to improve overall quality and uniformity of information shared in the responses;
- Analyse and propose plans of action for the improved handling of PCT applications;
- Create new training material and update existing training material in multiple languages;
- Provide comments and observations on PCT-related texts furnished for comments by the PCT Business Development Division, the PCT International Cooperation Division and the PCT Operations Division;
- Speak at training courses, seminars and information meetings for users and potential users of the PCT as well as provide internal training for WIPO staff members;
- Communicate with the PCT Operations Division on procedural matters in handling PCT applications; draft instructions, procedures and ensure application thereof by colleagues concerned;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- First-level university degree in law, business, engineering, or similar fields.
- Specialization in patent law.
- At least six years of relevant professional experience in the field of patents, either in the public or private sector. An advanced university degree in one of the afore-mentioned disciplines may be accepted in lieu of two years of experience.
- Detailed knowledge of, and experience with, the PCT.
- Experience with using the PCT system and applying the PCT legal framework, for example in the private sector, in a national or regional patent office or an intergovernmental organization.
- Excellent written and spoken knowledge of English.
- Good knowledge of other PCT publication languages, in particular French and Spanish.
Job Related Competencies (Essential)
- Ability to analyse legal questions, and draft legal texts.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Competent user of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and the internet.
- Communicating effectively.
- Showing team spirit.
- Demonstrating integrity.
- Valuing diversity.
- Producing results.
- Showing service orientation.
- Seeing the big picture.
- Seeking change and innovation.
- Developing yourself and others.
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.