Department for International Trade roles (DIT)
Main purpose of job:
The Department for International Trade (DIT) helps businesses export, supports inward and outward investment, and champions free trade. Colombia is an important business partner for the UK, with real potential to grow our trade and investment relationship. The work of the team is strategic in nature, focusing on generating major opportunities for UK industry in Colombia and then helping UK businesses can access these opportunities both directly and through partners (e.g. UK government representatives, chambers of commerce and industry associations).
Due to some staffing changes we are recruiting some additional short-term resource to the team to provide added resilience. The successful candidate will support the (acting) DIT Colombia Country Director supporting the management of a large, multi-sector team (infrastructure, energy, life sciences, financial services, defence and security amongst others) with an emphasis on daily operations and driving delivery against ambitious trade targets. The successful candidate will also provide support to the entire DIT Colombia and DIT LATAC team when requested.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
- Overseeing daily operations of the team, providing operational guidance and monitoring performance against DIT Colombia Country Trade Plan objectives, the Embassy Country Business Plan and associated DIT/FCO performance targets; and leading implementation and compliance with DIT Colombia’s information and management tools (Data Hub, Market Access, LATAC Enquiry Hub, core briefs etc), supported by the team’s Operations Manager
- Support the delivery of performance against ambitious export targets across the team, ensuring high performance, motivation and professional development, as well as trade policy objectives.
- Follow-up on DIT’s actions derived from engagements in high-level meetings, X-sectorial events and others.
- Actively coordinate and participate in meetings and quality control briefings of relevance to the role.
- Perform other tasks as requested by the Head of Mission, Deputy Head of Mission and (acting) Director and fully comply with policies and guidelines as required by the Embassy.
- Support all other aspects of the (acting) Director’s leadership of DIT Colombia, as well as sector leads (commercial officers) and DIT LATAC team when needed.
Level of language required: High level/Working level English and Spanish (At least C1 level under CEFR).
Other skills / experience / qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent). Economics, trade, business administration or international relations related subjects.
- At least 3 years of professional experience of working effectively with both the private and public sectors.
- To understand relationships between sectors.
- Evidence of working on international issues.
- Strong organisational and communication skills, experience in project management, experience working in teams.
- Experience of both the UK and Colombian business environments and business cultures
- Experience of both the UK and Colombian public sectors
- Understanding of key drivers of business decisions.
- Understanding of key drivers of public sector decisions.
- Good judgement, ability to take initiative and prioritise effectively.
- Experience in managing people.
Changing and Improving, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering at Pace, Demonstrating Resilience
29 November 2020
Fixed Term, Full-time, Temporary
Latin America and Spanish speaking Caribbean
11 January 2021
Must have the legal status to live and work in Colombia.
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes generous vacation and leave time, flexible working patterns, and enriching learning and development opportunities.
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate on the application form /cover letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.