Department for International Trade roles (DIT)
Note: Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption. You may find more information in the Additional Information section below.
The British Consulate General Milan is looking for a dynamic, customer focused, pro-active COP26 Business Engagement Manager to support the delivery of the 26th Conference of the Parties to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP26).
The COP26 business engagement manager for the Italy network will lead and coordinate the UK Government in Italy’s ambitious vision for business engagement on clean growth in 2021, centred on the planning and delivery of the UK Department for International Trade’s contribution to the UNFCCC Youth COP and preCOP26 conference in Milan in September 2021.
In 2021, Italy and the UK share the Presidency of the COP26, set to be the most significant international conference on climate change for five years. In September 2021 Italy will host the pre-COP conference in Milan and, for the first time ever in UNFCCC history, the Youth COP, with the UK hosting the subsequent COP26 conference in Glasgow. UK/Italian Presidencies of the G7 and G20 respectively provide a further forum for climate leadership on the international level. Action on climate change and industrial decarbonisation is therefore a central pillar of the 2021 UK-Italy bilateral agenda. At the same time, the Department of International Trade across Europe is delivering a region-wide Clean Growth Campaign focussing on strengthening business engagement on clean growth across the continent. This role therefore brings responsibility for leadership and delivery on one of the key priorities for both the UK Government in Italy and the Department for International Trade in Europe.
The jobholder’s ambition will be to work closely with Italian businesses and institutional partners at and in the run up to the preCOP26 conference in Milan, aiming to deliver business engagement which:
- Provides a platform for the voice of business to raise decarbonisation ambition ahead of COP26 in Glasgow, and to promote the message that low carbon transition leads to economic growth;
- Showcases opportunities for international investment in the UK’s future Net Zero economy. Strengthens relationships with leading clean growth investors in Italy, for long term benefit to UK-Italy investment partnerships;
- Supports commercial partnerships of the future and gives companies a platform to promote their low carbon solutions to major European customers. Specific opportunities have already been identified in the broad sectors of sustainable consumption and fashion, green finance, smart cities and low carbon mobility.
Close collaboration and partnership with the Italian hosts of these climate conferences will be critical, to deliver activity in support of joint objectives. The candidate must have a track record of building strong external relationships and delivering at pace.
This is a leadership position in which the jobholder will need to bring together colleagues from across the UK Government team in Italy to deliver on an ambitious programme of business engagement which will only be possible as a team effort. The successful candidate must be a strong collaborator, listening to and responding to the ideas and expertise of colleagues, empowering others to deliver whilst maintaining drive and oversight of the overall effort.
The jobholder will work to the HM Consul General Milan and Italy Director of the Department for International Trade and will work in close collaboration with the Climate team in the British Embassy Rome, heads of trade and investment in DIT Italy, the COP26 unit in the UK’s Cabinet office, the clean growth sector team in DIT Headquarters, and region-wide colleagues delivering the Clean Growth Campaign for DIT Europe.
The role will be based either at the British Consulate in Milan, or at the British Embassy in Rome depending on the successful candidate’s circumstances.
This role is a temporary 12 month contract at (C4) level in order to deliver on the unique opportunity presented by the COP26 conference programme in Milan.
- Develop and deliver an ambitious business engagement strategy in Italy focussed around clean growth and decarbonisation, working with Italy network and DIT Europe colleagues as part of the DIT Europe clean growth campaign;
- Oversee strategy and delivery of business-facing events at Youth COP and pre-COP26 (Milan) in partnership with Italian hosts. Focus on delivering ambitious commitments from the business community on decarbonisation, and in support of DIT and wider prosperity objectives;
- Lead and motivate a collaborative team of colleagues across the UK Government network in Italy and the DIT team across Europe, who will together support delivery of the external engagement strategy;
- Bid for, plan activity and briefing for senior UK Government hosted visitors to Milan on clean growth and climate related visits;
- Engage at senior levels with UK and Italian business on clean growth, supported by HM Consul General Milan and HM Ambassador;;
- Secure and manage sponsorship from the business community for high-profile events
- Working closely with Press and Communications colleagues, drive communications and press engagement on climate and business-facing content on clean growth;
- Lead follow up on commercial leads generated, and communication of impact internally and externally. Lead follow through of outcomes into Glasgow COP26 conference;
- Deliver robust monitoring, recording and evaluation of the programme of activity against decarbonisation ambition and commercial metrics;
- Actively engage in corporate activities and initiatives in the Italy Network.
The role will require travel within Italy, particularly between Milan and Rome for external stakeholder engagement. The job holder will also be responsible for securing funding for business engagement activities at the pre-COP conference (through internal Government bids and/or external sponsorship), and accounting for this spend. Responsible for credit card expenditure and delegated budget for business facing clean growth work.
Formal and informal L&D sit at the core of DIT’s strategic vision and people plan. A particular focus is currently on building and enabling DIT’s cross-European team and effort. The UK government has a clear focus on well-being, diversity and inclusion.
This role links closely to the DIT Europe-wide clean growth campaign, of which the COP26 work in Italy is a key part. The jobholder will be well placed to tap into region-wide learning and development opportunities on clean growth industries from green finance to sustainable fashion, and to lend their own experience to build capability for other colleagues.
More broadly, this is an exciting role at the heart of the Government’s agenda which will lend high-profile experience to any CV. The right candidate can help shape the dialogue between the UK industry and Italian partners in key strategic sectors for the two Countries.
- Fluent oral and written English and Italian (Common European Framework level C1 or above, or equivalent*);
- Experience in climate and/or clean industry, and understanding of UK/Italy industrial strengths in clean growth;
- Established networks with business stakeholders relevant to the clean growth industry in UK/Italy and/or relevant institutions hosting the COP26 events in Milan;
- Proven track record working with and influencing business stakeholders at senior levels;
- An organised project manager bringing proven ability to deliver high profile, complex events or programmes at pace;
- Proven leadership skills: ability to bring together and motivate colleagues to deliver as a team;
- Experience working in international environments and/or working in Government;
- Excellent use of Microsoft programmes, digital skills;
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Degree in related field;
- Project management / CRM credentials;
- Marketing and/or communications experience.
Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Achieving Commercial Outcomes, Delivering at Pace
6 December 2020
Fixed Term, Full-time
Europe, Eastern Europe & Central Asia
British Consulate General
11 January 2020
This is a full time fixed term position with a contract of 12 months, graded at C4 according to the FCO grading structure. The monthly gross salary is €4,008.00 The salary is paid monthly 14 times per year including € 10.33 EDR paid 13 times per year, with double salary payments in June and December. If working less than a full calendar year, the additional salary payments will be pro-rata.
Working hours are 35 hrs per week with some flexibility allowed.
The appointment is subject to security clearance and the successful completion of a 4-month probationary period.
All staff employed by the British Embassy and British Consulate-General are subject to Italian income tax (IRPEF). However the administration of these tax payments will vary depending on nationality.
The successful candidate will be enrolled in the Italian State Social Security Scheme. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Rome and British Consulate-General in Milan are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local Italian employment law.
Visa/Passport requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Italy and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. Additional requirements may become necessary after 31st December 2020.
Information due to COVID-19:
- You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
- Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
- Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
*Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C1 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning. Can express him/herself fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions. Can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes. Can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate on the application form /cover letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.