Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Note : All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the complete online application form including the employment and educational details, motivational segment and the competency based questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please note that due to Covid-19 outbreak, the start date of employment mentioned in the advert is tentative, subject to normal business of British High Commission. All recruitment campaigns will remain open for applications, we will progress the recruitment process as swiftly as possible and continue to review all applications, monitor progress and developments. We will be in touch with you for the interviews/ should there be further updates on the application, however given the circumstances, kindly expect some delay in response and please reach out to [email protected] , if you have any further questions.
Main purpose of the job:
An opportunity to work in a varied, high-profile job at the centre of one of the biggest foreign missions in Pakistan. You will support the Deputy High Commissioner in her responsibility for a number of key policy, service, internal management and communications issues, and frequent deputising for the High Commissioner.
The Deputy High Commissioner will depend on you to ensure her efforts are as effective of possible. You will provide a mixture of strategic support, effective administration, diary management, a central point of contact in and out of the mission. You will also provide cover for the High Commissioner’s two staff, and be a strong team player in the Private Office.
In practice, you will be required to manage the DHC’s diary, ensuring internal and external appointments are well planned and the DHC’s time is managed effectively. This involves close liaison with all sections of the High Commission, with senior Pakistani figures and their officers, and with the security team. The PA is often the focal point for a number of projects on which the DHC leads or is involved. You will have to deal efficiently with the large quantity of correspondence (on paper and electronically) which crosses the DHC’s desk. There is also some administration of the DHC’s budgets.
Roles and responsibilities:
– The successful candidate will need to be well organised, to be able to deal politely firmly and effectively with senior Pakistani contacts and colleagues, to be absolutely trustworthy and discreet.
– Should be persistent, pay attention to details and be creative in solving day-to-day problems (e.g. in sorting diary issues).
– Should be good team player, supporting colleagues in Private Office and wider High Commission to achieve their objective with involvement from the DHC.
– Managing Diary: Includes liaison with mission staff, external contacts, partners and Close Protection team. Ensuring the DHC is adequately prepared for meetings.
– Must be motivated to develop a basic understanding of the overall objectives of the High Commission and of its constituent teams to help prioritisation of the diary.
– Manage correspondence & paper flow in and out of DHC’s office. Prioritising, flagging urgent issues, ensuring efficient turnaround of papers and that work is dealt with promptly and by the most appropriate person.
– Organising events for DHC: Including managing the guest list, invitations and responses. Liaison with security/British Club/DHC house staff for functions.
– Support HC’s Chief of Staff with HC visits (working with visit lead on programme; commissioning briefing pack). Occasional opportunity to accompany HC on trips.
– Work with UKVI colleagues to manage visa requests received by HC and DHC.
– Secretary to Post Security Committee, including minuting the meetings.
– Collate leave plans for the Senior Leadership Team.
– Provide Administrative support for the annual Queen’s Birthday Party planning committee and take a lead role in planning and organising the Islamabad event (covid allowing – No QBP planned for 2021).
– Budgets: Monitor expenditure for DHC’s travel and entertainment budgets.
– Cover for other members of Private Office staff and be flexible on tasks assigned.
Learning and development opportunities:
Our strong L&D offer includes access to a range of Learning and Development opportunities with in-house and e-learning; shadowing and mentoring opportunities; masterclasses from experts and opportunities to get involved in the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office corporate agenda across our global network. You will get to work on real world issues which means that no day can be the same.
Level of language required: Fluent
Essential on arrival:
– Excellent communication skills in English – verbal & written.
– Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
– Strong organisational skills and attention to detail.
– Ability to be discreet.
– Good computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft applications eg Excel/Word/Outlook.
– Ability to deal politely and effectively with colleagues and contacts outside the mission.
– Should be a team player and able to support colleagues.
Previous personal assistant/ secretarial experience.
Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
6 April 2021
Fixed Term, Part-Time, Full-time
41 hours; Employment Type : Full-time or Part-time. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
South Asia & Afghanistan
British High Commission
PKR 213,322 along with 80000 (Security Allowance) minus tax abatement (as applicable) per month
15 May 2021
Basic Salary will be PKR 213,322 along with 80000 (Security Allowance) minus tax abatement (as applicable) per month.
Employment Type : Full-time or Part-time. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system linked to increments and staff bonuses. We have a 5-day working week, plus annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave provision, special leave, paid sick leave provision; ample development opportunities, travel opportunities, a good organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance.
Around half of our work forces are women. We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment.
This is a good opportunity to be part of a strong, diverse team, working in the biggest network that FCO has anywhere across the globe. We are aiming to make it the best.
Each application is considered on its own merits, but the successful applicant will be subject to satisfactory security clearance. Due to the security requirements of the position applicants should be British, US, Australian, New Zealand, Canadian or European national (and usually mono-national) who have spent at least two of the last five years in their home countries. Applicants must be willing to undergo the clearance procedure, and your application should set out your nationality and places of residence for the past five years.
Please note applications without (a) and (b)will not be considered.
A. Complete the Online Application Form
B. Complete the Motivation Segment in the Online Application Form
Internal candidates applying for this position need to upload their appraisal forms for the previous 2 years (if applicable) and also inform their current line managers. Else the application will not be considered.
We will accept only online applications by 6th April 2021 midnight (PKT).
- Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with.
- The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references, educational and professional.
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
‘’Please note that all the applicants will be required to strictly adhere to the security guidelines for British High Commission.‘’
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate on the application form /in your cover letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.