Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Residence and Support Staff)
Main purpose of job:
Under the guidance of the Events & Residence Manager, the job holder will assist in the hands on, day to day running of the Official Residence of the British High Commissioner, and with the delivery of the many official events held at the house. The Residence is a venue for such events, but is also home to the High Commissioner and family.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
Tasks related to the day-to-day running of the Residence including but not limited to:
- Ensure entrance of residence is clean and presentable at all times.
- Regular checking of electrical and other appliances and preventative maintenance e.g. checking AC units, ceiling fans – clean as needed; light bulbs & lighting throughout, running of all taps & showers, flushing of all toilets etc.
- Regular cleaning of silverware and brass fittings inclusive of main gate brass and crest by side gate to the garden.
- Check shutters and windows work as should. Clean as needed.
- Steam clean settees, couches, curtains etc.
- Polishing of wooden floors as needed.
- Responsible for disposing of household refuse, including sorting for recycling.
- Report any maintenance and general care issues to the Events and Residence Manager.
- Assist the Events & Residence Manager with upkeep of inventories, as required.
Tasks related to the delivery of official events at the Residence including but not limited to:
- Assist with the planning, layout, presentation and preparation for events, including setting out furniture and other equipment for outdoor and indoor functions.
- Receive deliveries to the Residence and assist with moving delivered items.
- Assist with the arrival and set-up requirements of outside catering contractors.
- Responsible for stock, equipment, flatware, etc.
- Serve drinks, afternoon tea and food as required.
- Clean up afterwards including washing dishes as required.
- Supervise additional staff for functions and housekeeping as required.
- Assist the High Commissioner’s houseguests.
- Take telephone messages as required.
- Upkeep of first aid kit and emergency supplies.
- Monitor outside service people/contractors in and outside the house.
- Attend residence and staff meetings.
- Assist other residence staff members with ad-hoc tasks and projects, as requested.
NB. The responsibilities set out above are indicative. Flexibility is essential, as the tasks required will change in line with requirements at the Residence.
Scope of role:
The role requires someone who is flexible, adaptable and pays attention to detail. The job holder will be part of the small team of residence staff, and will be expected to work harmoniously with their colleagues. Desirable personal attributes include excellent interpersonal skills (in person and on the telephone) with a positive, friendly, polite and outgoing attitude. The ability to take the initiative, and make decisions independently regarding tasks required but also work as part of a team. The ability to respond calmly and quickly to changes of plan and last minute requests.
Essential on arrival:
- Education – Min 3 CXCs (Inc. Math & English)
- At least 3 years in a customer service or similar role
- Excellent organisational/time management skills
- Language: an excellent command of the English language is required
- Basic IT competency (Including use of the internet and Microsoft Word & Excel)
- House Management qualifications
Changing and Improving, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
30 June 2021
Americas, Caribbean & Overseas Territories
British High Commission
16 August 2021
Must have the legal status to live and work in Barbados.
Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary, eg some non-local national staff and some spouses or partners of UK diplomatic staff, will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
This is a part-time role – 20 hours per week. The job holder will liaise with Events and Residence Manager regarding the exact hours to be worked in any given week. The holder will be required to be flexible about working hours, and aware that they will be expected to work during evenings on a regular basis, and occasionally at weekends. Time off in lieu will be available to compensate for evening/weekend hours worked.
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes generous vacation and leave time, flexible working patterns, and an enriching learning and development opportunities.
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
- LE staff induction E learning
- Hurricane Briefing
- Manual Handling
- Certified First Aid
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate on the application form /in your cover letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.