English Editor Consultants Roster (2021-2022), UNICEF Thailand, Bangkok
Job no: 537798
Contract type: Consultancy
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfil their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child,
UNICEF Thailand Country Office works to ensure the rights of all children in Thailand. This means the rights of every child living in this country, irrespective of their nationality, gender, religion or ethnicity, to:
- survival – to basic healthcare, peace and security;
- development – to a good education, a loving home and adequate nutrition;
- protection – from abuse, neglect, trafficking, child labour and other forms of exploitation; and
- participation – to express opinions, be listened to and take part in making any decisions that affect them
How can you make a difference?
The Programme Section, UNICEF Thailand Country Office (TCO) is seeking applications to a roster for individual consultants to edit, copy-edit and proof-read documents (both internal programme documents and potential publications) ensuring quality assurance of the content and completion against its purpose/objectives as well as formatting for consistency in writing style according to UNICEF’s style guideline.
- Write up the reports after having the initial concept/draft from the respective section’s programme officers;
- Restructure and rewrite the areas of text as needed to promote clarity, continuity, and internal consistency and incorporate reviewers’ comments;
- Fact-check the statements for accuracy and completion of references as/when required;
- Check and ensure text is responding to the objectives of the documents;
- Redraft incorrect or unclear passages where necessary and insert any omitted text;
- Provide accuracy and consistency in capitalization, selling, abbreviations/acronyms, notes, bibliography, titles, graphs, and tables (including their notes and sources), as per the UNICEF style and guidebook;
- Ensure that citations are appropriately included for statement/passages where required;
- Ensure that the language used is impactful; that repetitious text and jargon are eliminated; and that potential sensitivities are flagged and ways of resolving the issue(s) proposed;
- Develop and ensure consistency in overall layout;
- Work closely with responsible officers on revisions and changes.
Consultants will remain on the roster for 24 months and can be contracted for specific work assignments.
When contracted for an assignment, a detailed work schedule will be established with clear deliverables, time frames and supervision arrangements. The tasks will however fall under the broad categories mentioned above under work assignment.
Documents submitted are spellchecked, punctuation, grammar and syntax mistakes are corrected, repetition is eliminated, and concise and simple way of writing is ensured. Completion of appropriate restructuring, consolidating and/or rewriting sections of the document to ensure logical flow and clarity.
Estimated Duration of Contract: This is a call for consultants to be placed on the Roster. The duration of contract will be upon agreement with hiring manager.
Official Travel: No travel involved
Consultant’s Work Place: Consultants will work mostly remotely from their own premises.
Qualifications or Specialized Knowledge/Experience:
- Advanced University Degree in English, Journalism, Communication, Mass Media or any relevant field is required.
- Minimum 5 years of professional work experience in writing/editing English; Language news stories, human-interest stories, reports and publications. Writing samples may be requested.
- Demonstrated experience in communication, editing and proof-reading UN/UNICEF documents.
- Prior work experience with UNICEF and familiarity with “UNICEF Style Book” that defines corporate writing style and syntax of UNICEF will be a plus.
- Ability to synthesize complex documents into key messages is desirable.
- Experience in drafting advocacy documents from research studies is desirable.
- Familiar with children’s issues or social issues will be an asset.
- Strong analytical skills, knowledge, and sound judgement.
- Creative and detail oriented.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and flexible attitude.
- Excellent fluency in English is required.
Interested candidates are requested to submit CV or P-11, a relevant work sample, full contact information of minimum 3 references, availability, and proposed daily professional fee in USD by 14 February 2021.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People, and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
UNICEF is committed to promote the protection and safeguarding of all children.
Advertised: SE Asia Standard Time
Deadline: SE Asia Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter & on the application form where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.