Individual Contractor – Communication (Media Engagement), UNICEF Thailand, Bangkok
Job no: 540092
Contract type: Consultancy
Categories: Communication / External Relations, Consultancy
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfil their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, hope
UNICEF Thailand Country Office works to ensure the rights of all children in Thailand. This means the rights of every child living in this country, irrespective of their nationality, gender, religion or ethnicity, to:
- survival – to basic healthcare, peace and security;
- development – to a good education, a loving home and adequate nutrition;
- protection – from abuse, neglect, trafficking, child labour and other forms of exploitation; and
- participation – to express opinions, be listened to and take part in making any decisions that affect them
How can you make a difference?
The Communication Section, UNICEF Thailand Country Office (TCO) is seeking an individual contractor to provide support to UNICEF’s campaigns and events on media engagement and content production activities. S/he will assist in developing and managing media engagement strategy and implementing plans including using data-driven approach to ensure effective engagement; increasing media engagement activities such as briefing, story pitch, media visits; strengthen relationship with reporters and editors; expanding partnership with key media outlets. The media engagement activities will be designed to support UNICEF programmatic, advocacy and fundraising purposes.
Under the direct supervision of the Communication Officer, the individual contractor will work closely with communication, programme and fundraising teams on content development and media engagement on content production. The individual contractor’s main duties and responsibilities include:
- Assist in developing new partnerships with mass and online media. Also, assist in maintaining close collaboration with those media, as well as with groups and organizations whose support is essential to the achievement of advocacy and communication objectives.
- Assist in drafting, translating, editing articles, press releases, human interest stories, briefing notes, Op-eds, fact sheets and other advocacy/information materials in all media formats, as appropriate. Also work with photographers, videographers, graphic designers to support production of communication materials targeting media outlets and general public.
- Assist in the organizing press briefing, press conference, media interview, campaign launches, as well as overseeing logistic and administrative arrangements for them.
- Arrange field visits for the media to increase coverage of child related issues including logistical and administrative arrangements, in addition to developing briefing packs for the media.
- Support in conducting media landscape analysis and UNICEF’s current engagements and media relations practices, to identify opportunities for strengthening UNICEF’s media partnerships.
- Work closely with PR/creative agency to carry out communication and fundraising campaigns. Assist in communication campaign management and execution.
- Assist in the corporate communication and visibility. Work closely with corporate partners, major donors including Next Gen Group to carry out media-related activities.
- Assist in timely media engagement for private sector fundraising, public partnership recognition, and policy and programme advocacy.
- Maintain and update media relations contact list/database. Ensure rapid and accurate information dissemination to the media.
- Work with media monitoring agencies to monitor and evaluate the use and effectiveness of media materials. Distribute daily news clipping and maintain a library of coverage (clippings, coverage, etc.)
- Monthly progress report on the following expected deliverables:
- Media engagement and partnership plan for communication campaigns and initiatives.
- New partnership with key media developed.
- Communication materials such as press release, human interest stories, news articles, photo stories, video reports, opinion pieces, media packs, media briefs, etc.
- Database of updated media list and contact.
- Daily news clipping, news clipping reports for specific initiatives and monthly report on media coverage for UNICEF.
- Contribute to the development of communication strategy.
Estimated Duration of Contract: 10 months with possibility of extension (1 June 2021 – 31 March 2022).
Official Travel: Official travel may require upon necessity.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, communications, or a related field, preferred.
- Minimum of 6-year progressive experience in journalism, PR, communication, or other related field.
- Thai Nationality.
- Fluency in written and verbal English and Thai is essential.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in media outreach and engagement. A history of working with media outlets, PR agency is a plus.
- Having a strong network with media contacts and journalism professionals is highly desirable.
- Strong knowledge of the media professional landscape in Thailand is a requirement.
- Great writing skills in English and Thai, with skills and experience in producing high quality video content is a plus.
- Ability to manage communication project/campaign with minimum supervision.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills with experience in consensus building and in motivating cross-functional teams to meet ambitious project goals and timelines.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships.
- Flexibility to travel to within Thailand, and internationally if required.
Interested candidates are requested to submit CV or P-11, full contact information of minimum 3 references, availability, and proposed monthly professional fee in THB 13 May 2021
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People, and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
UNICEF is committed to promote the protection and safeguarding of all children.
Advertised: SE Asia Standard Time
Deadline: SE Asia Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter & on the application form where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.