Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Policy & Political roles)
Note : All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the complete online application form including the employment and educational details, motivational segment and the competency based questions. We will be thoroughly reviewing the application forms only for all the required details. Forms that are incomplete in any respect will not be considered while shortlisting for the next stage.
Please note that due to Covid-19 outbreak, the start date of employment mentioned in the advert is tentative, subject to normal business of British High Commission. All recruitment campaigns will remain open for applications, we will progress the recruitment process as swiftly as possible and continue to review all applications, monitor progress and developments. We will be in touch with you for the interviews/ should there be further updates on the application, however given the circumstances, kindly expect some delay in response and please reach out to [email protected] if you have any further questions.
Main purpose of job:
To support the High Commissioner and other High Commission staff in the effective administration and running of the High Commission, supporting delivery of UK Government objectives and the development of UK-Maldives bilateral relations.
The role entails both financial and administrative responsibilities including but not limited to budget monitoring and management, liaison with external suppliers and managing contracts for the provision of services.
Roles and Responsibilities:
We are looking for a well-organised individual with Executive Assistant experience as well as experience in budget management and office administration. This is a permanent position in the UK’s resident High Commission (Commonwealth equivalent of an Embassy) in Male’. Excellent organisational, communication and team working skills will be vital, both within the team and in building co-operative working relationships outside the mission with a wide range of contacts in Maldives, colleagues within the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office and other UK diplomatic posts. As Executive Assistant for the High Commissioner, the successful candidate will have good judgement, discretion and diary/time management skills.
· The ideal candidate will be energetic, flexible and have experience in budget management an eye for value for money.
· They will need to have good interpersonal skills to enable a good working relationship with the external suppliers; FCDO finance teams in the UK and elsewhere; colleagues in the BHC, and with other staff as necessary.
· They will be responsible for organising necessary payments for the functioning of the High Commission, keeping accurate records of expenditure, forecasting future expenditure, and tracking overall spend.
· They will also be responsible for preparing contracts, electronic and hard copy storage of information, organising meetings for the High Commissioner and supporting visit travel arrangements.
· They will have responsibility in managing the High Commissioner’s diary and support the High Commissioner where needed in performing executive assistant functions
· The Office Manager will be reporting to the Political Officer, working closely with the High Commissioner.
Key responsibilities will include:
1. Managing post budgets (40%):
· Managing post budgets including meeting financial spend deadlines (internal & external), track budget spending and contract management
· Manage finance functions and maintain all records, from supporting procurement through to receiving and processing invoices.
· Maintain budget forecasting and expenditure spreadsheets and preparing updates for the head of mission on a routine basis
2. Office administration and management (40%):
· Managing of office and residential properties, and supporting technical and security teams
· Arranging logistics for events, visits and travel
· Managing external contracts, suppliers and maintaining supply/stock for office
· Ensure health and safety compliance for office
3. Executive Assistant responsibility for the Head of Mission (20%):
Diary management for the High Commissioner, acting as the first point of contact for internal and external contacts for setting up meetings
Language: English & Dhivehi
Level of language required: Fluent in both, accurate in grammar and writing
Learning and development opportunities:
This role will offer opportunities for “on the job” learning, in addition to formal opportunities for learning in development, including access to a large range of online training opportunities and in-person learning in the region and/or London.
New staff are encouraged to complete the UK’s Diplomatic Academy Foundation Level training.
Essential on arrival:
· Excellent organisational and office management skills
· Experience in budget management
· PA/Executive Assistant experience
· Strong interpersonal, problem-solving and time management skills
· Personal drive and ability to work both independently and as part of a team
· Able to communicate effectively to deliver results
· Systematic approach to managing/delivering on a range of tasks simultaneously
· Confident in the use of a range of Microsoft and other IT applications
· Interest in regional and international relations
· Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Project Management, Business Administration, Finance, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Public Policy or related field.
Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
16 December 2021
South Asia & Afghanistan
British High Commission
MVR 19, 585 per month plus 7% Pension contribution per month
1 February 2022
For British High Commission (BHC) candidates, the Local Staff BHC Terms & Conditions will apply.
Starting salary will be MVR 19,585 along with 7% Pension contribution per month. Other benefits include a 13 month salary and health insurance.
Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment and security checks.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system. The High Commission takes pride in its organisational culture and its strong and diverse team. We offer leave entitlements as per Maldivian labour laws.
We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment.
Please note applications without (a) and (b) will not be considered.
A. Complete the Online Application Form
B. Complete the Motivation and Competency Segment in the Online Application Form
Internal candidates applying for this position need to upload their appraisal forms for the previous 2 years (if applicable) and also inform their current line managers, else the applications will not be considered.
We will accept only online applications by 16 December 2021 midnight (Maldives Time Zone).
Note : All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the complete online application form including the employment and educational details, motivational segment and the competency based questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please note that all the applicants will be required to strictly adhere to the security guidelines for British High Commission
Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with.
The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references, medical, educational and professional.
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate on the application form /in your cover letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.