Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Policy & Political roles)
Economic and Prosperity
Main purpose of job:
This is an exciting opportunity to support the growth and success of a new, innovative and high-profile Tech Hub in Indonesia that will aim to develop the Indonesian tech ecosystem, deliver digital skills programmes, and drive partnership and collaboration within the technology ecosystem. We are looking for an organised and enthusiastic individual to provide a broad range of administrative, project management and communications support across the team. The hub will be one of three pillars of the UK’s Overseas Development Assistance-funded Digital Access programme to drive greater digital access in countries like Indonesia.
The UK-Indonesia Tech Hub was developed in September 2019 by the UK Government’s Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) to build digital ecosystems that will facilitate sustainable economic growth and development for Indonesia under the wider International Tech Hub Network. They follow the example of successful hubs elsewhere in the world, such as the UK-South Africa Tech Hub, UK-India Tech Hub and the UK-Israel Tech,
The Hub has three main aims:
- Deliver tailored interventions to cultivate digital skills responding to the needs and opportunities for inclusion in the local tech sector. This could include, for example, promoting opportunities for youth and women in the local tech sector;
- Support tech entrepreneurship through partnerships with local digital ecosystem stakeholders including incubators, accelerators and private sector firms, Indonesian government departments and agencies and non-profit organisations
- Facilitate partnerships between local tech firms (including tech start-ups) and international companies (across all sectors) in the form of commercial partnerships or joint ventures
- The successful applicant will play a key role in establishing processes and managing a number of Tech Hub projects.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve:
- Providing administrative, coordination, and project management of hub projects, frequently working across several projects simultaneously, and ensuring they align with the wider DCMS tech hub network programme;
- Developing relationships with local tech firms, start-ups and wider tech sector stakeholders, using these to support the delivery and development of new partnerships and projects.
- Support the Hub’s work by planning and executing high profile events: assume a key role in planning projects and events such as business delegations, conferences and receptions. Work with external suppliers to negotiate venue hire, hotel bookings, tech support, produce materials etc;
- Support on design and implementation of the Hub’s policies by establishing and maintaining standards, systems and procedures;
- Lead work on all logistical and administrative components for the Hub’s activities;
- Preparing briefing materials for the senior team, arranging logistics and travel for the team and both inward and outward delegations, and helping to identify and deliver engagement opportunities for the Hub team to promote its work effectively;
- Process payments and manage Hub’s procurement process and budget. Responsible for quarterly and annual reporting to DCMS central team, and for preparing non ODA and transparency reports as necessary.
The post holder will be based in Jakarta and will be part of a small team of locally-engaged staff, normally working in the British Embassy (but currently working from home). The post holder will not have line management responsibility. He/she will be expected to get up–to-speed quickly on Embassy procurement processes to ensure budgets are properly managed and represent good value for money.
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
We place a strong emphasis on learning and development. You will be encouraged to undertake developmental training and get involved in corporate activities. This role provides an excellent opportunity to build up programme knowledge and expertise and gain exposure to working across government. You will have access to Project & Programme Management L&D as well as wider job-relevant L&D and support for your own personal development.
- Job share: No
- Working from home (1-2 days a week): Yes
- Working from home (3-4 days a week): Temporarily yes (due to CV-19)
- Fully remote working (with jobholder based in the UK): No
- Fully remote working (with jobholder based overseas): No
- Compressed hours / Flexi-time: Yes
- Reduced hours/days: No
- Term time only: No
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
● IT literate, and able to learn how to use new IT systems quickly;
● Strong administrative and/or project management experience;
● Well organised with good attention to detail;
● Able to work flexibly and pick up corporate processes quickly;
● Able to work independently as well as part of a team;
● Confident at decision making, within agreed boundaries;
● Able to communicate effectively at all levels, both verbally and in writing, with internal and external stakeholders
● Experience in handling budgets and finance administration
Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
4 November 2020
Full-time, Fixed term, with possibility of renewal
28 December 2020
31 March 2022
The British Embassy/Consulate offers a competitive remuneration package including:
- Annual leave entitlement of 25 days per year
- Medical benefit (medical insurance)
- Access to extensive learning and development opportunities
No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment checks. In relation to this, the successful candidate will need to arrange for his/her own Police Certificate.
The Embassy has an active L&D Committee which works hard to provide a comprehensive L&D offer. There are a wide range of options available for personal development including training courses, coaching and mentoring, job-shadowing, presentations and learning sets. Staff have access to a wide variety of online resources through the Diplomatic Academy and Civil Service Learning. Staff are strongly encouraged to take advantage of all the available opportunities. The job-holder will be required to take some specific training courses related to their role. All new staff undertake a workplace induction and there are a number of mandatory e-learning courses covering areas such as diversity, health and safety, and information management.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate on the application form /cover letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.