Other British Government Departments (Partners across Government, including UK Visas)
Northern Ireland Bureau / Northern Ireland Group / Invest Northern Ireland
The British Consulate General in Jeddah has a vacancy for a Regional Manager for Saudi Arabia and Levant Region under Invest Northern Ireland on a fixed-term contract for two (2) years.
About Invest NI
Invest Northern Ireland (Invest NI) is part of the Department for the Economy in Northern Ireland, United Kingdom (UK). It is Northern Ireland’s principal business development agency with responsibility for supporting the growth of the Northern Ireland economy through the development of its businesses locally and internationally, bringing greater economic benefit and prosperity to the people and this region of the UK.
Operating in over 20 international cities, Invest NI’s overseas offices are responsible for supporting Northern Ireland companies in developing business overseas thus increasing export sales, developing collaborations and marketing Northern Ireland as an inward investment location. Invest NI works closely with a wide range of clients including local businesses, multi-national companies, industry bodies, universities, and colleges. It also works closely with business associations and stakeholders such as the UK’s Department for International Trade (DIT), Chambers of Commerce, the British Council, and Tourism Ireland.
About the role
Invest NI is renewing its focus in a number of countries around the Middle East region. To build on the successes already achieved, we wish to appoint a Regional Manager for Saudi Arabia and the Levant region.
The Regional Manager role, based in the British Consulate General in Jeddah, will be Invest NI’s key representative for the Saudi Arabia market. Reporting to the Head of Territory for India, Middle East and Africa (IMEA), the jobholder will be responsible for formulating and delivering a strategic plan which helps Northern Ireland companies to increase export sales and find new business in a number of sub-regions in Saudi Arabia, and raise the profile of Northern Ireland as an inward investment location. The jobholder will also be developing and leading on Sector plans covering key business sectors in Northern Ireland, agree these with the management team and relevant stakeholders, deliver work for Northern Ireland companies, co-ordinate action, and execute them successfully. In the longer term, the jobholder will help assess the Levant region, identify potential export and inward investment opportunities, produce a market development plan, and deliver the agreed actions. In addition, the Regional Manager will develop and agree a strategic plan covering the education sector, work with stakeholders and key partners in Northern Ireland, Saudi Arabia, and ultimately Levant region, to raise the profile of Northern Ireland colleges and universities, with the aim to attract more students to study in Northern Ireland.
The Regional Manager will develop an operational plan for the next two years, covering activities in Saudi Arabia and the Levant region including Iraq, outlining and resources (budget, staffing / support) required, agree it with the management team and manage the approved resources allocation; and report activities to the Head of IMEA and Invest NI head office on a timely manner. This also includes co-ordination of effort and company meetings or visits from the target markets to Dubai during Expo 2020, that are of strategic importance to Northern Ireland and Invest NI that will lead to long term economic benefits. The jobholder will also manage the Trade Advisory Services contract with the local contractor based in Saudi Arabia.
In order to carry out their work effectively, the jobholder will be required to forge effective working relationships with a wide range of businesses, senior officials, industry leaders and influencers, stakeholders, Northern Ireland diaspora/ expatriate community, and government officials both in the target markets and Northern Ireland. The jobholder will deliver activities such as VIP visits to the markets they are responsible for, as well as exhibitions/ events, and trade missions. They will represent Invest NI at relevant business functions and speak at them when required. They will also provide business advice to Northern Ireland companies (market research, location reports, or product reports) and produce these reports on a timely basis. In addition, the jobholder will be required to undertake travel on a regular basis, either within Saudi Arabia, Levant region, the wider IMEA region or the UK; and work or travel outside their normal working hours from time to time.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Formulate and deliver a market development strategy for Saudi Arabia and the Levant region, including Iraq, to promote Northern Ireland capability, covering export and inward investment, that contributes to the overall goals and performance targets of the territory;
- Develop, agree, and deliver sector plans covering a number of key Northern Ireland business sectors, promote the business opportunities identified in the target markets to Northern Ireland companies through social media, roadshows, and face to face meetings, attract them to visit markets and export more; Work closely with the Sector Leads for Engineering and Education based in Dubai to promote NI companies in the said region;
- Proactively provide business advice and identify relevant business opportunities in the target markets for Northern Ireland companies through market intelligence, connections, and research, and promote Northern Ireland capability to key decision makers;
- Co-ordinate and manage in-market support for VIP (such as Ministerial delegation) and company visits, trade missions, events, and exhibitions in the target markets;
- Develop strong relationships with senior officials/ C-level executives within the targeted companies, influencers and stakeholders including British Embassy, UK Department for International Trade (DIT), and expats living/ working in the region to deliver action plans and enable Northern Ireland companies to engage with them;
- Prepare an operating plan for the target markets, including activities, budgets and resources, and deliver them effectively and successfully;
- Engage effectively with colleagues and stakeholders based in the wider IMEA region (Dubai, Doha, Johannesburg) and in Northern Ireland to provide market and sector briefings and to ensure that activities in the market align with corporate plans;
- Manage Trade Advisory Services contract in Saudi Arabia, including projects for clients, sector reports;
- Manage relevant information sources and maintain accurate recording of customer and stakeholder information on Invest Northern Ireland’s Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and internal management systems.
The above list is not exhaustive and the jobholder will be required to be flexible and take on other ad hoc tasks as required, including participating in the Embassy’s emergency planning and any other response to a crisis affecting UK citizens.
Key competencies required:
- Collaborating and Partnering – Being a team player who creates and maintains positive, professional, and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the organisation to help get business done. Working collaboratively, sharing information appropriately, and building supportive, responsive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders, whilst having the confidence to challenge assumptions. Being approachable, delivering business objectives through creating an inclusive environment, encouraging collaboration, building effective partnerships including relationships with Ministers, and welcoming challenge however uncomfortable.
- Achieving Commercial Outcomes – Having a commercial, financial, and sustainable mind-set to ensure all activities and services are delivering benefit and working to stimulate economic growth. Identifying economic, market, and customer issues and using these to promote innovative business models, commercial partnerships, and agreements to deliver greatest value; and ensuring tight commercial controls of finances, resources and contracts to meet strategic priorities.
- Delivering at Pace – Focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes. Working to agreed goals and activities and dealing with challenges in a responsive and constructive way. Keeping a firm focus on priorities and addressing performance issues resolutely, fairly, and promptly.
- Managing a Quality Service – Valuing and modelling professional excellence and expertise to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements. Effectively planning, organising, and managing time and activities to deliver a high-quality, secure, reliable, and efficient service, applying programme and project and risk management approaches to support service delivery. Creating the most appropriate and cost effective delivery models for services.
- Leading and Communicating – Showing pride and passion for public service, leading from the front and communicating with clarity, conviction, integrity and enthusiasm. Championing difference and external experience, supporting principles of fairness of opportunity for all and a dedication to a diverse range of stakeholders. Being visible, establishing a strong direction and a persuasive future vision; managing and engaging with people in a straightforward, truthful and candid way, and upholding the reputation of the organisation.
- Minimum of five years’ recent (within the past eight years) successful business development experience in Saudi Arabia, including experience of understanding market research, analysing market data, preparing reports, presenting information and providing advice to clients;
- A sound knowledge of the current business opportunities and local contracts across the key business sectors and business environment in Saudi Arabia, including issues and solutions relating to doing business in and exporting to Saudi Arabia;
- Recent successful track record in developing and maintaining relationships with senior executives and government officials to achieve significant business in the Middle East;
- Excellent communication skills in English and Arabic, both written and spoken. Able to express ideas and messages clearly and concisely, both orally and in written communication.
- An ability to work collaboratively and effectively with business contacts and colleagues. Experience of developing relationships and building influence with multiple stakeholders in public and private sectors and recognises the importance of developing a strong professional network.
- Ability to work at pace and independently as part of a remote team; and prioritise, manage and deliver an often heavy workload;
- Flexible, resilient, decisive, and calm under pressure. With a proven track record of delivering results to a high standard within tight deadlines.
- Strong IT computer skills using Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and internet applications.
- Knowledge of Northern Ireland, particularly an understanding of its key sectors and economic drivers;
- Holds a university degree or equivalent.
Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Achieving Commercial Outcomes, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
4 November 2020
Full-time, Fixed term, with possibility of renewal
Middle East & North Africa
British Consulate General
3 January 2021
2 January 2023
The position is available to Saudi nationals and to current holders of valid Saudi residence permits or transferable iqama. The successful candidates will be required to transfer their sponsorship to the British Consulate General.
Working hours and remuneration:
The Consulate General aims to offer an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role.
- Base Salary including Eid bonus – SAR 21,590.70
- Housing Allowance – SAR 5,397.67 (subject to eligibility)*
- Travel Allowance – SAR 400 (subject to eligibility)*
*Allowances are not payable to staff who receive official provision for such expenditure in some other form.
No accommodation and relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Normal working hours for the Consulate General are 08.00 to 15.00 Sunday to Thursday. This position is full-time, based on 35 hours per week.
The jobholder should also be flexible in their approach to hours worked as these will also be dictated by operational needs and may involve working out of hours (evening and weekend), especially during events and visits, during conference calls, or when delivering assignments within deadline.
The jobholder must also be prepared to undertake regular travel either within Saudi Arabia or to other countries.
The successful candidate will be subject to a 90-day probationary period.
How to apply:
Interested candidates must attach 1) an updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) and 2) a covering letter to their online application form. Your application must also include examples of when you have demonstrated the competencies outlined above.
Applications that do not include these information will not be considered.
Closing date for applications is at 23:55 (KSA local time) on 04 November 2020.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Due to the large number of applications we receive, only those shortlisted for the next step of the recruitment process will be contacted.
The start date mentioned in the advert is an assumed start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances, medical clearance and reference checks.
The British Consulate General Jeddah is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate General is subject to Terms and Conditions of service according to local Saudi Arabia employment law.
To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate on the application form /cover letter where (ngotenders.net) you saw this job posting.